Things may have progressed...

SCITEACH

I have had an increasing desire to move back to Oz of late but it's something the OH was reluctant to consider seriously- until last night.

He started looking for vids of life in brisbane and things to do around north lakes. He seemed very impressed and expressed a desire to do a fact finding trip over sometime this year.

We have a baby and one on the way so any move anywhere is going to be tough, this one especially so if it goes ahead. Luckily we have family in North lakes so would start from there.

Any info on this area at all from a local's perspective would be great. 

Things to do

Avg house prices

Kid friendly things

Much appreciated ☺

Do you mean comments on North Lakes in particular or Northside or Brisbane? 

I am not a huge fan of North Lakes (although the shopping centre is excellent!) because it is a little hub of English people and I am keen to integrate! Some things to do: 

- Sunshine Coast and Bribie Island - NL is ideally located for an easy trip 

- Australia Zoo - good value annual passes so you can go as often as you want - great with young kids

- Redcliffe Lagoon - a favourite of mine - 10 mins from NL - free parking and free lagoon

- community groups in Strathpine and NL for babies/ toddlers

- Lake Samsonvale 

- easish transport links to the city.

- cycle paths 

I could list heaps of things, the vast majority of which are free. 

Re house prices - completely depends on what you want and your budget. NL is very 'estatey' which some people love - lots of pristine new builds. Have a look at realestate to get a feel for the sort of house that you are after. I wouldn't be tempted by the cheaper houses in Deception Bay or Caboolture - they have increased crime rates in comparison to the surrounding areas. 

P. 

• Like 1

North lakes in particular but surrounding areas also if anyone has any info. That's us3ful to know about deception bay and the other as I was looking in these areas for housing.

I don't mind living with other brits  haha 

Thanks for your helpful reply :)

"Little Britain" is a misconception because Brits make up a very small percentage of the North lakes population which at the last census was less than 11%. Personally, I wouldn't live there if I was given free housing. Most of the plots are small compared to older suburbs and way overpriced IMHO. The traffic in and out is a major problem at peak hours and a few people I know will not bother driving into the city but drive to Mango Hill or murrumba downs rail station.

Narangba is "up and coming" and would be my choice if I wanted to live further out and has easy access to rail.  Deception Bay has it's problems so you must choose wisely.

"Closer in" can also be more value for money if you shop around for housing plus the added bonus of better public transport. Bracken Ridge for example has a bus to the city every 15mins and a train every 30 mins via Bald Hills station (which is never more than a 5 minute drive to access from anywhere in the suburb) and a bus stop less than a 5 minute walk likewise. Parking at the rail station is free and plentiful.

Look here for a summary and comments on nearby suburbs

Also take a look at Petrie or Lawnton.  Don't be put off by the older style houses in many suburbs looking "dated". They invariably sit on large plots and have excellent interiors with polished wood floors which I consider much nicer than Pete Seeger's "little boxes" being turned out nowadays

Edited by Johndoe