Sun Coast or Brisbane from Sydney

restfamily

Hi, long time since I last popped by here, but glad to see it's still up and running. Just celebrated 10 years down under... no going back to uk for us, my children are definitely Australian!

We lived 4 years in Canberra - it's not as bad as its reputation, but I outgrew it, what was on offer and different work called.

Now we've lived in Sydney's East for 6 years and discovered we may live a short drive to the beach, we rarely go between work, sport and groceries! Who also wants to fight for a car space and carry your stuff miles away. We love being close to the city for events but probably don't go often enough for it to be worth while.

Life has turned for me and I've quit the corporate rat race and work from home. I've the choice to move where ever I desire. So my question is, should we move to QLD? And if so Brisbane or Sunshine Coast.

Children are sporty, and I've one serious female AFL player, so we need to move somewhere with a string female club / competition. 

Schools - private, Anglican / Christian (not catholic), high school, coed, with decent sport. Preferred language is mandarin. Everything is cheaper than our current schools ?

House - 4 bed, single story, well appointed, pool, in a suburb that is relatively flat, not on a flood plain, 20 min drive to a major shopping centre. A idea of price range for a house that needs no work would be good.

stuff for teenagers to do without getting up to mischief!

public transport so kids can get about independently, but doesn't have to be great to city etc as wont be working there. 

Near major hospitals.

im torn, I'm used to cities. Conscious I out grew Canberra. Want the sea to walk along. Don't just  want to prong myself in another city where I could be doing the Mums taxi thing anywhere! Any ideas???

Thanks

Take a look here: It's suburb specific but will give you an idea of what's on offer within an easy drive. I love the Sunny for a day or weekend away and would gladly have lived there if there had been work/uni opportunities for my kids, but if you're a city lover, then Brizzy would more likely suit

Edited by Johndoe

Guest The Pom Queen

I still don't know down here well enough as we have only lived in Far North Queensland. 

We didn't want to live in the city but needed to be close to major hospitals. We chose the Lockyer Valley and love it but we do  love the country. 

I loved the Sunshine Coast but I don't know for children hopefully someone else can help.

Ps It's great to see you back posting

Welcome back and am sure someone with better knowledge than me will be along soon.

I am guessing Brisbane coming from Sydney Sunshine Coast may be too quiet. If you are after major hospitals and AFL that's probably Brisbane again.Not great beaches like the Sunshine Coast you have to go to GC for that and surf but still good beaches for nice walks dotted around Brisbane area.

• Like 1

Thanks for the welcome back :) 

working at home all day in suburbia I'm noticing unless beauty to walk is right on my doorstep I'm not getting enough exercise. When I lived near a big city park, I'd happily do a lap around at lunch but now I'm short drive it just doesn't happen, so I'm super consious I need to be 5 min walk to some beautiful place to walk. Can be around lakes or by the ocean. Somewhere safe for bikes off road too. 

So if I narrow it down to Brisbane, where would you suggest? I'm thinking $600-$650k for a house but can stretch if needed, but of course not ideal!! I'd want a pool to do hydrotherapy in daily , for the best part of the year, (another reason for the move).

Someone who lives in these areas would be better suited to advise you.I have only visited places when I lived on the Gold Coast.

If it was me I would take a look at the Moreton Bay region.You have coastal areas like Bribie Island and Redcliffe. In land you have Samford Village, Samford Valley etc which I liked.I have a mate living in Petrie and he is happy with his family there. You have train stations and commuting distance car or train to Brisbane within a hour and the same north to the Sunshine Coast. I do believe there is a female AFL club called the Narangba Crows.

Take a look at the Moreton Bay council website and I am sure someone will be along to help shortly. You could always go to the Gold Coast which offers all those things and more but not everyone's cup of tea ?

https://www.microburbs.com.au/

This might help with your search.  I immediately thought Ferny Grove for cheap housing close to the edge of Brisbane and therefore National Parks for walking, but it has a train line so good for public transport.  Alternatively, The Gap if your budget will stretch a bit more.  Somewhere south side would be nearer hospitals. 

4 hours ago, robfromdublin said:

This might help with your search.  I immediately thought Ferny Grove for cheap housing close to the edge of Brisbane and therefore National Parks for walking, but it has a train line so good for public transport.  Alternatively, The Gap if your budget will stretch a bit more.  Somewhere south side would be nearer hospitals. 

Yes there's hospitals southside but the Royal Brisbane, Prince Charles (Centre of Excellence), Redcliffe and Caboolture are all Northside

6 hours ago, robfromdublin said:

Recently just bought in neighbouring ferny Hills. Getting train is easy, not much traffic out this way either, close to samford. Great for walking and biking tracks also a 50m pool in the middle of the suburb.