Moving to Sydney. School admission question!!

sazhar

Hi,

Planning my move to Aus (Sydney) in Aug/Sep 17 from Dubai on PR visa. My kids - elder one in G-8 and another in G-6. In Dubai, academic yr. ends in June. Need a bit of advice.

Some question on top of my mind:

1. Shall I wait and admit them in next grade (academic yr 18-19 staring Jan18)  or join them in same grades as soon as we arrive (repeating grades they r done with already).

2. Do they need to take any admission test if joining catchment area public schools. Are there any specific requirements to join G-9, G-7 levels.

3. I heard about Selective Schools available for special talented kids. Is it an assessment that schools do to determine if they qualify or a qualifying exam my kids need to take to join these schools.

Appreciate your time answering them for me.

Cheers!!

Azhar

You ignore all grade levels you may have known, this is a foreign country with its own systems. Put the kids with their age peers when you arrive and go from there. Don't keep them out of school until the new year, kids start all the time.

There will be assessments for selective schools but once you have enrolled the kids in their local school you can talk to them about when selections may take place. They're fiercely competitive.

On 19/04/2017 at 9:38 PM, sazhar said:

Hi,

Planning my move to Aus (Sydney) in Aug/Sep 17 from Dubai on PR visa. My kids - elder one in G-8 and another in G-6. In Dubai, academic yr. ends in June. Need a bit of advice.

Some question on top of my mind:

1. Shall I wait and admit them in next grade (academic yr 18-19 staring Jan18)  or join them in same grades as soon as we arrive (repeating grades they r done with already).

2. Do they need to take any admission test if joining catchment area public schools. Are there any specific requirements to join G-9, G-7 levels.

3. I heard about Selective Schools available for special talented kids. Is it an assessment that schools do to determine if they qualify or a qualifying exam my kids need to take to join these schools.

Appreciate your time answering them for me.

Cheers!!

Azhar

My son was in High School when we left the uk and were worried about him going to High School not knowing anyone so he repeated 6mths as they enter school in Uk younger he was actually the same age as everyone else and when he went on to High School he had friends. 

But I guess it also depends on your children