any 1 in geelong

Guest taywood

Guest taywood

gday mates got to geelong on 12thjune we have a holiday let for 2 months,everything is great...just asking if any other poms are in the area to meet up and chat looking around different are areas,liking what we see.....

cheers Ade

Guest EvieB

Hi Ade,

We are not in Geelong (unfortunately!) but would possibly like to be eventually. We are trying to decide between there/Ocean Grove or Mornington. We are going to visit later in the year. What part are you staying in? It would be great to hear where you think is a good area. Have you visited Ocean Grove?

When you have time, we would love to hear all about it.

Guest the terry's

Hi Ade,

When you get time, probably when you get back, give us all the pro's and con's about the Bellarine Peninsular, there are quite a few peeps on here who want to know about the area, me included!

Have fun you lucky thing !

Helenx

Guest Les & Woz

Hi Ade

We are still in sunny UK but are hoping to come out March 09. We have been looking at Geelong and areas around there. Be interested to hear what you think of places and where you end up! Keep us all posted. Have fun!

Les

• 2 weeks later...
Guest taywood
Hi Ade' date='

When you get time, probably when you get back, give us all the pro's and con's about the Bellarine Peninsular, there are quite a few peeps on here who want to know about the area, me included!

Have fun you lucky thing !

Helenx[/quote']

gday..all around the area is great,leopold is an up an coming area they call it nappy vally,good houses loads shops..useally not far from a coles or safeway supermarket..

portalington is more of a holiday place with more older retired people..geelong is great

its so easy to travel around anywere,no rush hour,although lots of traffic lights beach front is fab...ocean grove and barwon head are gorgeous,houses bit more pricey...geelong has alot of industry,shops are great...this is 1st impressions,the longer we stay here the more we see and love...will keep you posted

have pics on facebook if you would like to see...seach adrian taylor australia

cheers ade

Guest GarryScott

Guys

I am a pom living in Geelong. Been here for 5 years and love it.

Great access to the coast and the brilliant scenery.

Wouldn't advise living in North Geelong, I'd pick the south.

Only problem is work, there's not a great deal of it here. I work in Melbourne, so it's an 80K commute each day.

It's a lot quieter here than Melbourne, nearer the coast then Bendigo and warmer than Ballarat. Where else would you go??

Garry

Guest EvieB

Hi Garry, if you don't mind me asking, what is your job? My OH is an electrician and we have pretty much changed our minds from Mornington because it looks as though there is more work in the Geelong area. I can do anything Admin and have seen lots of jobs for Barwon Health and Deakin University. Do you think we might struggle for work?

Thanks.

Guest dwa33

Hi there, we live in geelong and have been here one year, In Torquay to be precise, which is pricey but we love it. I think Geelong is very underrated, the area has lots to offer and is a fast train commute to Melbourne. Greta primary and sec schools. House prices very reasonable. Great city centre with bay frontage.

Cheers

Fi

Hi hubby just found this post and thought I should reply.

We arrived in Oz in April this year. We've settled in Clifton Springs which is about a 15-20 min drive south of Geelong. Great access to the great ocean road, 10 mins drive from Ocean grove with great surfing beaches. We looked at the Mornington peninsula last year and stayed in Mount Martha which we loved with the safe beaches and Morningtons lovely cafe bars but unfortunately its just too pricey. Clifton Springs houses are very reasonable you can pick up a single storey possibly needing a bit of updating for around $250-$300. Land still cheap if you're looking to build. Everyone here is sooo friendly.

Clifton Springs is small and I think classed as semi-rural. Its got a local shopping area but you do have to drive into Geelong if you need K-Mart and pop to Leopold if you need a local Coles. Leopold is a 5 min drive away.

Schools are nice and kids have settled well although they're a bit of a novelty as there's no other english in the school they're in. Three primary schools in the area and plenty of secondary schools.

Ocean Grove seems nice from what I've seen but little bit more expensive as they've got lovely beaches.

Hope this helps someone.

We've got family in Geelong and Ocean Grove and had a couple of weeks there in May & got married in Ocean Grove.

We've been before but have decided to put our papers in and try to get out there for good.

Ocean Grove is very very nice, they are due to build a new shopping centre there asap. House prices seem a bit steeper than other areas but its a really nice, laid back little town.

Leopold & Grovedale are both up & coming areas with good priced housing.

Without sounding like a snob, I wouldn't want to live in North Geelong / Corio but West & South Geelong seem really nice.

In short, we love the place, it has a nice atmosphere to it, easy access to Melbourne with cheaper housing and the best Aussie rules team!!!

Guest dwa33

well there you go, there are a few of out this way, there are also a few of us on the Britvics website, which is for Brits and family moving out to or living in Victoria. A few of us mums got together toda, we live all over Geelong area, and hope to make it a regular thing. Useful if you're just arriving and want to make some contacts and need support. If you want to PM me I can let you know when the next one is.

Cheers

Fi

Guest carryonboo

Hi I went to Geelong in Feb as my brother and his family live there. I really liked Geelong so did rest of my family but my brother and his girlfriend would like to move eventually. his girlfriend is a Aussie and grew up in Geelong so i think the reason she's not overly keen is a bit like many people are like with areas they grow up in. they get bored with the area etc. I'd live in Geelong. The waterfront is pretty, i like the shops and i like its surrounding areas.

Guest Jodajasa

Hiya

We are moving to Geelong in early september. So long as our house sale completes this week!! (fingers crossed).

We are heading for the Belmont/Highton area. We visited in February and loved it there.

We've got two little ones so it would be great to hear from anyone with kids...no in fact just make that anyone!!!

Dawn

Guest taywood
Hiya

We are moving to Geelong in early september. So long as our house sale completes this week!! (fingers crossed).

We are heading for the Belmont/Highton area. We visited in February and loved it there.

We've got two little ones so it would be great to hear from anyone with kids...no in fact just make that anyone!!!

Dawn

hiya,

belmont and highton are fantastic areas

we really love it here,we have a 2 year old ruby.would love to meet,keep in touch

good luck with the house sale

ade,vikki,ruby

Guest dwa33

I second that Belmont/Highton are great places to live. The POM's seem to be flooding into Highton, must have good taste!

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...
Guest tomandmillie

Belmont & Highton are very good areas. But, why not Grovedale? We are living in Grovedale just off the Torquay Hwy.In a quiet close with north facing garden so we get the sun from 9am to sunset.

ps, Grovedale Hotel is quite handy being as it's walking distance.. A short drive to Waurn Ponds shopping ctr and the Great Ocean Rd &Torquay etc.

We're hopefully moving to Geelong when (if) we get our visa approved.

we were over in May & have family who live in Highton & would be looking at Highton / Belmont as good areas to live and the housing & rental seems affordable.

We also looked at Grovedale & Leopold as although they are out of Geelong, they are both up & coming and the house prices seem really reasonable.

Guest tomandmillie
Hi Garry, if you don't mind me asking, what is your job? My OH is an electrician and we have pretty much changed our minds from Mornington because it looks as though there is more work in the Geelong area. I can do anything Admin and have seen lots of jobs for Barwon Health and Deakin University. Do you think we might struggle for work?

Thanks.

Hi

We moved here 2 and a half years ago and I have had trouble getting a permanent admin job despite loads of experience and skills. I worked as a temp for a year with a local agency (People at Work) and have worked as a casual admin relief officer for the City of Greater Geelong Council (which is the highest salary payer apart from Deakin - where I couldn't even get an interview). If you can afford not to have permanent work, there's temping to be had. Good luck with it all. Geelong is a good place to live.

Mandy

Guest EvieB

Thanks Mandy - it is a bit worrying. We can probably afford for me to temp or work part-time as long as Steve has a job. Next Thursday we fly out for a visit - we are staying in Ocean Grove and Mornington. I can't wait! If you can recommend any good places to eat in Geelong or surrounding areas, we would be interested to hear about them.

El Toro in the centre of Geelong is a nice, well priced Italian.

Oakdene Vineyard near Ocean Grove is a lovely place with nice food but pretty expensive (for a Northener anyway! lol)

Smorgys on Cunningham Pier used to be nice but I haven't been for ages. Its an all you can eat place.

Geelongs a great place - hope you like it!

Forgot to mention - the pizza place on the main strip in Ocean Grove is fantastic (can't remember its name though). The best pizza I've ever had and you can have a beer in the adjoining bar whilst waiting for your takeaway. Heaven!!

We got married in Ocean Grove at the end of May and will always have special memories of it

Guest tomandmillie
Thank you - we'll do our best to try them all :-)

In Geelong, we recommend Irish Murphys, Scottish Chiefs, The Carlton and if you like fine French dining (at a price), Le Parisien on the waterfront (great views day or night). Tonys Italian in Belmont (just on the edge of Geelong) has great pizzas and all good things Italian.

Have a great time here on your visit and if you feel like chatting about life down under and want to join us for a drink or two, please feel free to pm us.

Mandy and Peter

Guest EvieB

Hi Mandy, thanks to your info we will try to look at Grovedale while we are there so may well take you up on that if it's convenient. We will arrive on the Monday (25th I think) and go back to my sister's house in Melton on the 28th.

Archived