Paying for State Education

Guest dllewelyn1

Guest dllewelyn1

Hi

I have heard that if you do not have citizenship you have to pay for your child's education from primary level upwards.

Is this true?

And if it is is it true for Victoria?

I asked the same question about 2 months ago. If you look up School Fees under the search button it will tell you.

I was told in Victoria its different, you only pay on a student visa. Check the thread I mentioned and it will reassure you.

Obviously they also have the private schools too which you would pay for.

Hope that helps reassure you

Guest The Pom Queen

You still have yearly fees even if you PR or Citizen. We have to pay for building upgrades etc etc. However, the school use to tell us it was compulsary but we found out in January last year that it wasn't and it is illegal for the school to insisit the fees are paid. Here is an article in the Herald Sun Anger over school fees | Herald Sun

Also there is no such thing as free pens/paper/books etc. Every Christmas you are given a list of what your child needs for the year, this includes excercise books, pens, pencils, art smocks, paints, and some text books. Ours usually comes out at around $150 per child for primary and from $250 - $500 for secondary. Unfortunately over here Christmas is a very expensive time, you have the above fees to pay, new uniform to buy, school holidays and Christmas.

Archived