Medicare Costs on Partner Visa

Tazzamaraz

Hi, I had an Endoscopy procedure last year as a day patient in my local hospital.

About 3 months later I received a call that I needed to pay for the procedure (no mention of this prior to the procedure) and have now been sent a bill for over $2,000!

I'm from the UK and on a 820 visa awaiting processing of my 801 application. I was under the impression that once the Partner visa application was lodged all Medicare over and above the reciprocal agreement would be covered.

Has anyone else had this experience?

21 minutes ago, Tazzamaraz said:

Hi, I had an Endoscopy procedure last year as a day patient in my local hospital.

About 3 months later I received a call that I needed to pay for the procedure (no mention of this prior to the procedure) and have now been sent a bill for over $2,000!

I'm from the UK and on a 820 visa awaiting processing of my 801 application. I was under the impression that once the Partner visa application was lodged all Medicare over and above the reciprocal agreement would be covered.

Has anyone else had this experience?

Yes, you are entitled to full Medicare ona Spouse Visa. 

However I beleive sometimes there are payments on top - I had a friend at work who went for an op on medicare but because she had two procedures done on the same day (instead of having a general anaesthetic twice) she had an $8k bill to pay.

49 minutes ago, Tazzamaraz said:

The hospital have phoned me and spoke to me about it and I told them I would be covered the same as a permanent resident but they have continued to pursue me for the money. Just wondered if anyone else has had a planned procedure and not had to pay?

Maybe it is one of those situations where even a PR/citizen has to pay - like my friend, ozzie born and bred but had a huge bill because of the small print in the Medicare deal. If she had two ops, one on each disc, on successive days, nothing to pay, two ops on two discs in the same procedure - $8000 bill. 

Talk to Medicare, tell them exactly what you had done and where, see what they say