confused......

Cat90

Hi all i'm looking to get some advice as im so confused at the moment, i'm looking to migrate to Australia but i'm unsure on where to start! i have a bit of a confusing story. I am 26 years old i have a partner of 9 years to which we have a son of 7. my mum and step dad both live in Australia and have done for 8 years, i was granted a visa in 2008 but i had just found out i was pregnant and didn't want to leave the UK, i activated the visa in October 2009 with a visit and then a longer visit in 2011/2012 for 6 months. my visa has since expired and i had an extension on it after that which has also now expired! we as a family have decided to move as i want to be closer to my mum and want the very best for my son Ive looked through all the visa options and i'm stuck on which i can apply for...... please help!

I would try for an RRV if I were you, especially if it is within 5 years of your last visit. You have strong family ties and may well get a 1 year RRV. I assume this was what you applied for previously. By far the most straightforward option to try first. Look carefully at the rules and provide as much evidence as you can. This will not cover your partner though, or your child so they will need visas.

I would be be aware that with your dates, were you actually single and a therefore a true dependent when you activated your PR visa? Just that immigration will look at such things. If you claim a de facto relationship was in place before you validated your visa that will be a problem.

Maybe consult an agent? Don't hang about though as it becomes harder to get a RRV after 5 years out of Australia.