Moving to Aus - Advice

mrogers1984

Here’s my situation;

I’m married and would love to emigrate with my wife and children over to Australia, we’re not hugely fussed on where to be fair, but would prefer SA, QLD, VIC or NSW.

I’m 32 (33 in July), my wife is 31 and our children 10 & 7. I don’t have a degree but have been working as a Head of IT / IT director since 2010 and as an IT manager since October 2005 through to December 2009. I know IT manager is on the CSOL as is CIO for South Australia and both need 70 points from my understanding.

I also have a couple of other routes which may be an option;

1. My wife’s uncle emigrated 20+ years ago and is an Australian Citizen, living in Queensland and I believe would be open to sponsoring us if that helped.

2. My current employer is also willing to discuss me relocating to Australia (Sydney) but I’m concerned whether they would be able to given CIO and IT manager aren’t on the SOL or CSOL for NSW and I’m also concerned about the childcare costs in NSW if I’m on that temp visa (which seem to be $5k - $6k per child per annum).

So, a few questions;

1. What points do you think ACS would award me

2. What are people’s thoughts on whether SA will look at people scoring less than 70 points?

3. Can my employer employ me in NSW?

4. Is the relative in Queensland any help at all?

5. Final question, I know Business Analyst and System Analyst are both on the SOL, if I were to retrain as those, how much experience would I need in order to be able to emigrate under one of these codes.

Any thoughts and help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Michael

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Michael, I can't answer your questions as the visa process changed from when we did our ACS RPL. I'm sure there will be a few members who can help when they wake up in the morning.

Hi Michael,

Good luck with the move. I cannot help you overall with your questions but hopefully can provide some feedback.

For work as a BA or SA, you may find it tough to find a position in SA or QLD, the majority of work is really centered around Sydney and Melbourne, and with citizenship Canberra.

If you are going to retrain as a BA or SA, to compete in this market you would need a good few years experience under your belt as well as certifications plus experience with Agile. As for qualifying for emigration, cannot comment, but the job market is pretty tough and competitive in Australia at the moment.

Take a look at seek.com.au for roles and what experience they are looking for. Maybe reach out to a few recruiters to discuss what you would need to to compete in the current job market.

If you can get your employer to sponsor you, that would be the best bet as long as they can justify the position and role and why they cannot find someone suitable local to fill that position. Do they already have an office in NSW or Australia? Can they justify the position?

I doubt your wife's uncle would be able to sponsor you, but others can confirm if this is at all possible. Would not hold my breath about this though.

I would speak to a good registered migration agent. IT occupations are notorious for overlaps where a person may qualify for an occupation that they don't realize they do.

Family sponsorship is not often a lot of help as all it does is boost points. The applicant still has to have an occupation on the list, except it is slightly harder as the list is limited to the SOL and CSOL applications are not enough for a 489 family sponsored. There are then hoops that the sponsor has to satisfy.

I would avoid company sponsorship as it is usually only a temporary via and comes with a lot of catches. The main ones being as identified, childcare, it is temporary and you would have to assume you will be coming back, it is tied to the employer, so if you were to lose your job you only have 60 days to find another or leave, the wives of 457 holders can have difficulty finding work, there are issues with getting credit, buying a house is a big issue and a number of others.