How to get PR in NZ with a 189 Oz visa

Hi all. Hope somebody can help me.

We have a 189 visa for Oz which has been activated. I'm aware we can go live in New Zealand with this. But does anyone know how that works long term?

If we went to NZ instead of Oz would we lose our Oz PR and also how could we stay on in NZ after losing the Oz PR?

Hope I've explained that well

TIA

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I looked at this several months ago out of curiosity several months ago and there happened to be another thread like this around that time. From what I remember, you need to apply first for some permit that allows you to retain your status when you leave or you need to stay there for 2 straight years.

So as it stands, you get a temporary residence every time you enter the country. The moment you leave it is cancelled. It's renewed when you return. This will then put your 2 year requirement back to day one. There is a form you can fill in that will allow you to leave and not impact your days residing number. I believe you have to be there for 6 months before you can apply with that form.

This is all from memory though, so I might be a bit off with the information. I'd google it a bit for clarification.

As for how it impacts your Australia residency, I have no idea.

Hi all. Hope somebody can help me.

We have a 189 visa for Oz which has been activated. I'm aware we can go live in New Zealand with this. But does anyone know how that works long term?

If we went to NZ instead of Oz would we lose our Oz PR and also how could we stay on in NZ after losing the Oz PR?

Hope I've explained that well

TIA

If you stay outside of Australia until after the 5 year travel part of your PR expires, you will not be able to get back into Australia. You may possibly get a RRV but unlikely if you are actively living in NZ and have sppent no time in Oz.

Without the time spent in Oz to get you an RRV or citizenship you will lose the right to live in Australia.

If you stay outside of Australia until after the 5 year travel part of your PR expires, you will not be able to get back into Australia. You may possibly get a RRV but unlikely if you are actively living in NZ and have sppent no time in Oz.

Without the time spent in Oz to get you an RRV or citizenship you will lose the right to live in Australia.

Thanks Nemesis. What would that mean for NZ then? How could we stay there permanently?