Unskilled spouse

Olly91

Hi there,

New to the forum so please go easy on me!

Me and my partner are hoping to emigrate to Australia, it's still early days but I'm unsure, I'm an unskilled track worker for network rail, my partner is a qualified primary school teacher which is currently on the skilled occupation list. If we went down the skilled occupation route would I still be able to emigrate with her as her spouse or do I have to be skilled also?

Any replies would be really appreciated!

Olly

Yes you could go on her visa application. You may have to meet medical and police checks though and other requirements though.

Realise its not what you were asking but thought I'd mention it here as you say about primary teaching. Primary school teaching can be a tough job market to find work in. I don't know what states are sponsoring or anything but here where we live there are far more teachers than there are jobs available and more newly qualified teachers keep coming through each year. And many cannot get even a year contract let alone a permanent one. And now I hear from some teachers that many are moving into childcare, kindy and the like as there isn't work for them in teaching.

Research carefully the area you plan to move to and what the job situation is like there. Remember posts for the following year are usually listed soon after the midway point in the school year and jobs can be filled by September to start the following January. Of course there is relief work but often schools build up over the course of the year with their go go relief teachers so arriving mid year can mean its possibly not easy to find regular relief work. Of course you may get some and be fine, but its worth being prepared. I know people who handed out CV's to lots of schools who only got call backs for relief teaching from a a handful and it took a good year of getting themselves known before they got regular schools and then it leading to a term long job or 2 terms cover or some such before then leading to a year contract.

I hear time and again if people are prepared to go work rural for a year or two or in a more remote country town there can often be work available. Mainly as people don't want to move out to the sticks here and prefer to be around the larger towns and cities in more populated areas. Country towns and schools are not appealing to many it seems. They often come with their own set of challenges on top of the usual things.

Edited by Guest
eta

I was just about to agree with the above.

Having met a newly qualified teacher this weekend just gone, she said its a tough market. This is in the mid north coast of nsw in Coffs Harbour. She said it is common not to be given a permanent contract and for teachers to be casual. For example, she is on call all the time as an English teacher. She gets up at 7am every morning just in case she gets a call to say she has to be at x y or z school for 8am due to a teacher being ill etc. So she can go days without work or sometimes be lucky and get a full week.

However if she went inland to broken hill, she would find a permanent job no problem. If you are willing to go to very rural areas, your partner should be okay. And yes, you would be on your partners visa.

Another thing to take into consideration is that if you are on a skilled regional visa and you want permanent residency at some stage, one of you needs to prove you have held a job for 52 full weeks of at least 35hours a week worked within a two year period. Which may prove difficult if work is so irregular.

Good luck :) where there's a will there's a way

I was just about to agree with the above.

Having met a newly qualified teacher this weekend just gone, she said its a tough market. This is in the mid north coast of nsw in Coffs Harbour. She said it is common not to be given a permanent contract and for teachers to be casual. For example, she is on call all the time as an English teacher. She gets up at 7am every morning just in case she gets a call to say she has to be at x y or z school for 8am due to a teacher being ill etc. So she can go days without work or sometimes be lucky and get a full week.

However if she went inland to broken hill, she would find a permanent job no problem. If you are willing to go to very rural areas, your partner should be okay. And yes, you would be on your partners visa.

Another thing to take into consideration is that if you are on a skilled regional visa and you want permanent residency at some stage, one of you needs to prove you have held a job for 52 full weeks of at least 35hours a week worked within a two year period. Which may prove difficult if work is so irregular.

Good luck :) where there's a will there's a way

Actually, to apply for the 887 PR visa you must have worked 52 weeks and lived 2 years in a regional area before you can apply, but you have the whole 4 year period of the 489 visa to do this.

Actually, to apply for the 887 PR visa you must have worked 52 weeks and lived 2 years in a regional area before you can apply, but you have the whole 4 year period of the 489 visa to do this.

That's what I meant as I'm on the 489 visa hoping to get an 887 PR visa two years from now. Worded it incorrectly but what you said is what I meant. It's just we have made entry and have decided to crack on from the offset for the two years and apply for PR as soon as possible :)