You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

MattBrinks

Anyone here working in Software dev in NT? Is there vibrat industry with lots of work?

Hi there, I'm new to this forum and I'm thinking about working in Oz. I'm British citizen, and also a Kiwi of 10 years.

I was wondering what the IT/Software sector is like in the NT. Would anyone working there care to share their experiences please?

For the record 30 years experience in software (currently an architect in Auckland).

I am going to take a semi educated punt that no there will not be a vibrant IT industry in the NT. You would need Melbourne or Sydney for anything close to vibrant.

The population of Auckland is about 1.5 million, the population of the entire NT is less than a quarter of a million, can't imagine there would be lots of work.

Jeremy Corbyn on the EU  " A European bureaucracy totally unaccountable to anybody"

There will without doubt be more opportunities in Sydney and Melbourne but there are opportunities in NT - I had two former colleagues leave Perth for roles in Darwin - one went for the lifestyle and the other followed.

Another colleague in Perth, had moved from Darwin & not due to lack of work.

They weren't architects but all worked in 'software development'

I assume you have working rights in Australia so why not apply for roles and see what happens?

I would add it depends on your motivations too, it's an unusual choice so I can only assume it is more about lifestyle than career.

If so, and you are willing to be flexible then right now there are a couple of ICT Officer roles - most architects I've worked with would be able to do something like this easily

http://m.seek.com.au/job/32399981