DET sponsorship 457

Guest gill26

Guest gill26

hi,

I have got a sponsorship from WA DET on visa 457 through an expo and UK based interview. I have received the sponsorship confirmation already and now dont really know what happens in regards to visa application!!! has anyone else gone this route and can maybe offer some advice?

thanx Gill

Guest thesloans

you have to wait for the sponsorship application to come back approved. They will get in contact with you to tell you that you can now apply for your part of the visa application they will give you TRN number which you have to quote in your application, which can be done online....then you will get your own TRN number. You can check the progress of your application online with that number, in the progress part they send you messages for any further information they might require eg medicals etc etc. Ours took 5 weeks 1 day from when we did our part.

Hope this helps.

If you have any questions feel free.

Vanessa

• 1 month later...
Guest Neilg71

Hi

We have just missed out on the 175 by just 5 points and so our next route is 457. I have recently (this week) completed the Preliminary Qualifications Assessment form with docs etc. and await the next phase where they contact my referees.

Interviews take place in towards the end of October (in Leeds). If I am successful from this point, what happens next? What time scale are we looking at?

The WA DAT website states that the 457 Visa application takes 4-8 weeks for processing. I spoke to the recruitment officer who was very helpful , and who said that the successful candidates from the current group being processed would be expected to start July09!!! Very frustrating indeed.

Also, I am aware that one of the conditions of the sponsorship is that you accept the rural / remote placement that they give you. In reality, and if you have been through this process, just how much say did you get in your final location?

Any help / advice much appreciated

Neil Gregson

Guest AndyandYvonneD

Hi Neil,

Have you looked at the 176 visa, still pr but state sponsored, only need 100 points, you are obliged to live in the sponsoring state for 2 years, but its not a legal requirement. We have applied for this visa as we want to live in Brisbane anyway and have just sent forms to Queensland for state sponsorship

Yvonne

Guest Neilg71

Hi Yvonne

We've looked at the 176, but the WA Dept. for Education and Training have a sponsorship process in place only through the 457 route. As a secondary school teacher, the 176 route would only be an option if I were sponsored by an independent or church school, not a state school. I have spoken to a recruiting agent (SMART Teachers) for non-state institutions; they said it was unlikely that whilst independent schools did sometimes offer jobs on the basis of a telephone interview, they were not likely to offer sponsorship as well. Howver, this is a line I will follow, until the 'not likely' is replaced by a 'No'!

If you know of any other angle I might take with the 175 / 176 visa , I would be grateful for your advice?

Many thanks

Neil

Guest Australia_bound?

Hi Could you possibly tell me how you found out about the expo? We're hoping to go to one next year and go down the same route. Think it'd be a tad easier than doing phone interview etc.....

Guest thesloans
Hi Could you possibly tell me how you found out about the expo? We're hoping to go to one next year and go down the same route. Think it'd be a tad easier than doing phone interview etc.....

if you go to www.immi.gov.au - they normallt advertise the Expo's on the homepage. Good Luck

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi Yvonne

We've looked at the 176, but the WA Dept. for Education and Training have a sponsorship process in place only through the 457 route. As a secondary school teacher, the 176 route would only be an option if I were sponsored by an independent or church school, not a state school. I have spoken to a recruiting agent (SMART Teachers) for non-state institutions; they said it was unlikely that whilst independent schools did sometimes offer jobs on the basis of a telephone interview, they were not likely to offer sponsorship as well. Howver, this is a line I will follow, until the 'not likely' is replaced by a 'No'!

If you know of any other angle I might take with the 175 / 176 visa , I would be grateful for your advice?

Many thanks

Neil

Hi Neil

Have you looked closely at the Points test for the 175 visa? (Easiest to open two browser windows so that you can fill in the points in one window and refer to the explanatory text in the other.)

Skilled – Independent (Migrant) visa (subclass 175)

The requisite score in the IELTS would give you an extra 10 points and a teacher ought to be able to get the necessary score.

Would you be able to do anything with the WA job offer points-wise?

For the 176, you are right that State sponsorship is not a goer. You wouldn't happen to have any close rellies anywhere in Oz, would you?

Skilled – Sponsored (Migrant) visa (subclass 176)

Best wishes

Gill

Guest Neilg71

Hi Gill

Thanks for your advice.

I am due to take the IELTS test at Liverpool Uni in September. As an English teacher, I would hope to gain the score required for an additional 10 points which would then take us up to the maximum 25 points for having a 'proficient' standard of English (currently on 15 points because I have a UK passport - having an English degree and ten years English teaching experience still does not make me proficient in the English language! Rulez iz roolz).

I will do the test, hopefully gain further marks which takes us to 115, and can only hope that the pass mark may be lowered.

i know where I have made the points calculation error. On the 175 application form, the points scoring table asks if I have an occupation in demand/job offer. According to the SOL (Skilled Occupation list) a teacher is entitled to 60 points,the maximum any profession can get. Therefore, I answered Yes - which would entitle me to 15 further points to meet the pass score. What I was unaware of was that the question required me to refer not to the SOL but the MODL (Migration Occupations in Demand List)instead.

We have no close relatives in WA

Non-state schools do not sponsor 176 applications.

It still looks like the 457 route.

Hope this info is useful to those going down a similar route.

Many thanks

Neil:cry:

Hi Neil

Have you looked closely at the Points test for the 175 visa? (Easiest to open two browser windows so that you can fill in the points in one window and refer to the explanatory text in the other.)

Skilled – Independent (Migrant) visa (subclass 175)

The requisite score in the IELTS would give you an extra 10 points and a teacher ought to be able to get the necessary score.

Would you be able to do anything with the WA job offer points-wise?

For the 176, you are right that State sponsorship is not a goer. You wouldn't happen to have any close rellies anywhere in Oz, would you?

Skilled – Sponsored (Migrant) visa (subclass 176)

Best wishes

Gill

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Australia_bound?
hi,

I have got a sponsorship from WA DET on visa 457 through an expo and UK based interview. I have received the sponsorship confirmation already and now dont really know what happens in regards to visa application!!! has anyone else gone this route and can maybe offer some advice?

thanx Gill

Hi can you tell me where the expo was and any chance a link to their website?

Guest Neilg71

Hi Gill

Neil again. Who is your 457 sponsor? Will they not keep you informed every step of the way? I understand that a 457 will allow take you to work for up to 4 years in Oz, but your performance in the job may determine whether or not your employer will sponosor you for permanent residency further down the line.

In recent years, some employers have exploited their position and taken advantage of the migratee (Is that a new word?), but the Oz govmnt has recently introduced new laws which make this far less likely to happen.

Have I helped to answer your question? Maybe not. Hope this may be of some use.

Best wishes

Neil.

Archived