Any advices on remarking in IELTS.

Jim

Hi everyone, I have a question about IELTS remarking.

I was sitting an IELTS test on the 10th December, and have received my result today.

L: 8.5

R:9

W:6.5

S:6

My goal is to get a band 7 in each section and I have obtained 6.5 on either my writing or speaking previously. However, before this test, I had spent two months practising on these two parts with my instructor and some Australian friends and been scored around 7 consistently. Besides that, I was really confident with my performance at the actual test. Unfortunately, the result tells a different story.

After researching many online comments about IELTS reassessment, many suggested that there had been remarked if there were two band difference between sections in the scores, which in my case, there are 2.5 bands difference between listening and speaking or between reading and writing. So, it is said to be pointless to apply for a remark. However, others said it is worth a shot.

Now, I am on the fence. Shall I get my result remarked, or prepare for next test? I have poured lots of time, efforts and energy into this test. I have tried PTE but got worse scores on that. I am physically and mentally exhausted now.

I will appreciate any suggestions.

Cheers

Edited by Jim
Add more details

Your test will have already been reviewed by a second person because of the disparity in sections as you say. - so no point going for a retest.

I take it English is not your first language? As my IELTS tester said all native speakers should expect to get full marks. But your written English is pretty good to be honest, better than some native speakers. :wink:

I think perhaps, assuming this is a second language, that you should take a break from taking tests and rather than focus upon passing a test, look for opportunities to put your English into practice. Watch TV programs in English, read books, read the Internet in English, converse in English as much as you possibly can. Then maybe come back to the test in a few months because it sounds like it is getting you down and you need a break.

Your test will have already been reviewed by a second person because of the disparity in sections as you say. - so no point going for a retest.

I take it English is not your first language? As my IELTS tester said all native speakers should expect to get full marks. But your written English is pretty good to be honest, better than some native speakers. :wink:

I think perhaps, assuming this is a second language, that you should take a break from taking tests and rather than focus upon passing a test, look for opportunities to put your English into practice. Watch TV programs in English, read books, read the Internet in English, converse in English as much as you possibly can. Then maybe come back to the test in a few months because it sounds like it is getting you down and you need a break.

Thanks for your suggestions and encouragement. Apparently my writing is not good enough for a band 7 in IELTS test.

Yes, English is my second language, but I use it almost every single day. It may sound silly but do I really need to wait a few months before next test?

Thanks for your suggestions and encouragement. Apparently my writing is not good enough for a band 7 in IELTS test.

Yes, English is my second language, but I use it almost every single day. It may sound silly but do I really need to wait a few months before next test?

Well it isn't for me to say you *need* to, it was you that said you are very stressed out about it, so I was suggesting this as one option to counter your stress.

And I do think maybe practicing your English language in real life scenarioss rather than practicing for a exam might be good for you,

Well it isn't for me to say you *need* to, it was you that said you are very stressed out about it, so I was suggesting this as one option to counter your stress.

And I do think maybe practicing your English language in real life scenarioss rather than practicing for a exam might be good for you,

Thanks Bungo.

I think you might be right about that. Cheers.