Can my spouse start a company ? 187 RSMS

DawnAndGraeme

Hi all, been a while since i have had to use this forum, so thanks again in advance for such a great place to get some help.

Been a whrilwind tour for us over the last 4 years. The story of how we both ended up on a Bridging visa E is for another time, but we got through it thank god.

so we are currently 6 months into a 187 RSMS visa Granted on my profession. MY husband is keen to set up a company but we are unsure if he is actually able to. He is granted 187 as a spouse on my visa. Although i know that i need to stay employed for a further 2 years, he has never had any stipulations over who he works for, but has never been self employed in this country.

anybody any ideas?

I suppose i could as immigration direct, probably get the standard answer (talk to mig agent)

thanks again

Dawn and Graeme

Is your visa provisional? The only issue I could see is it may need approval from the foreign investment review board.
Dont think so, our visa suggests that it has no expiry date and that, would hate to think i would need as suggested, been paying tax in Australia for 4 years. but interesting point..

It is a PR visa your partner can set up a company if they wish. The only criteria I can think is it may need to be in a regional area as your employment is, but I am not certain about that.
That would make sense i suppose, but this is Australia and nothing is for sure,

I went onto the abn setup website, just asks for a TFN and your personal details.

thanks for your help

Dont think so, our visa suggests that it has no expiry date and that, would hate to think i would need as suggested, been paying tax in Australia for 4 years. but interesting point..

Where you pay tax has no relevance but if you have PR then there should be no restriction. I just know some regional visas are provisional & require living and working in the regional area before PR is granted so I thought that could apply to you. Even if you did need FIRB approval it's a simple form filling exercise.

Where you pay tax has no relevance but if you have PR then there should be no restriction. I just know some regional visas are provisional & require living and working in the regional area before PR is granted so I thought that could apply to you. Even if you did need FIRB approval it's a simple form filling exercise.
Sorry just assumed that the FIRB would apply to people applying for an entry (business startup or investment visa) AFAIK the only stipulation is on where we work. but i definitely will check out what their website says. Thanks again for your help