IT Jobs SA??

ickleric

I'm not entirely up to date as we left australia 3 years ago but my husband is an IT Infrastructure person - he was Infrastructure Manager for the Fire service before we left for Australia & we avoid SA because there wasn't the volume of vacancies - I was even advised by a state government official who's task it was to encourage people to move to SA not to as it was mainly manufacturing and agriculture.

I am not in any way saying you won't be able to get work just that it will be more challenging, if you have string ties to that area then go for it - support is a little easier than development (my field) as non-IT companies/departments still have infrastructure that needs supporting but you will definitely have more chance of securing employment quickly in Melbourne or Sydney.

Coming from the NHS have a look at BT Health - http://www.globalservices.bt.com/anze/en/location/australasia - I worked on an incredible infrastructure project for them in Perth and they have opportunities elsewhere in Australia too.

thanks.. so do you live in Perth then? My issue is that the only CSOL jobs in my field are only open in SA at the moment..

Notanymore, we moved back to the UK but that was nothing to do with work opportunities. Perth wouldn't necessarily be a good choice now though, although I worked for BT there it was the resources industry was what drove demand for IT professionals - and for now at least the bottom has dropped out of that market so the market will be awash with contractors out of work.

If your skills are on the CSOL for SA only and all the other factors in your life add up to it being worth migrating then go for it - just make sure you factor in a period of unemployment/underemployment (there an an awful lot of IT professional driving taxi's in Australia - mostly people for whom English is not there first language, whether that is a cultural difference in what people are willing to do to survive in Australia or a product of their communication skilss or pure racism I'm not sure but that was my observation)

If after a 'reasonable' period you cannot get work in SA you can move - you are not under any legal obligation to stay in that state.

A lot depends on the level of risk you are willing to take - is it just you or do you have a partner? children?

Do you have a good job now or are you keen to leave anyway? Do you own your own house & have a lifetime of belongings, a nice car etc. Or are you still starting out in life?

The more you are in the UK the bigger the risk - only you can decide if it's worth it!

Archived