Is weekend course/correspondence course considered for 189 Visa?

colind11

Hi All,

I currently work in Sydney with 457 Visa and thinking of applying for 189 visa. I have 9 Years of IT/Software experience(out of which 1 year is in Australia) but my Bachelor’s degree is in Mechanical Engineering. I have done Weekend Master’s Degree in Computer Science(2011-2013) @200 Hrs classes/Semester. Will my Master’s degree be considered for points calculation ? How many years experience will be deducted in my case(would it still be six?), given that my Bachelor's degree is different from my Master's and field of experience.

A recognised Bachelor degree is in Mechanical Engineering will attract 15 points, notwithstanding that it is unrelated to your nominated occupation. If you cite an Australian ICT Masters you do not need any work experience to satisfy the ACS.

From what you have posted, it seems unlikely that you could be awarded any more points for your Masters, but do not take this as a considered professional opinion.

Hi All,

I currently work in Sydney with 457 Visa and thinking of applying for 189 visa. I have 9 Years of IT/Software experience(out of which 1 year is in Australia) but my Bachelor’s degree is in Mechanical Engineering. I have done Weekend Master’s Degree in Computer Science(2011-2013) @200 Hrs classes/Semester. Will my Master’s degree be considered for points calculation ? How many years experience will be deducted in my case(would it still be six?), given that my Bachelor's degree is different from my Master's and field of experience.

You are possibly mixing up the two separate requirements of skills assessment and points requirement.

A bachelor degree attracts 15 points and whether it is in a subject related to the nominated occupation has no relevance.

On the other hand, for the skills assessment, the degree subject will often be relevant.

Archived