Nurse without a degree

Shaz70

Hi guys

I am a qualified children's nurse with 11 years experience at diploma level. I understand I will need to top up to a degree before I even try to apply. This means I will be 49 by the time I get my degree which is leaving time extremely tight when I apply. What can I do to ensure everything is in place so I can apply immediately after I get the degree? Can I get my skills verified before I apply and do the English competency test?

Also my daughter who is 24 and completing her bachelors degree next year. What is her best preparation? She was hoping to start her masters next year or is she better getting work experience?

Thanks guys

Unfortunately you need to wait until you have the degree to do the skills assessment as it is party an assessment of qualification.

You our could do the English test.

The two big issues are points. Have you checked your points as most people find it very hard to get enough points after the age of 45.

Then, you mention your daughter. I am not sure what your plan is. There could be complications in including her in your application as a dependent. If you can't, then what is she studying? Most occupations require post qualification experience in order to pass a skills assessment if she needed to apply for her own skilled visa. There are exceptions including nursing.

Hi guys

I am a qualified children's nurse with 11 years experience at diploma level. I understand I will need to top up to a degree before I even try to apply. This means I will be 49 by the time I get my degree which is leaving time extremely tight when I apply. What can I do to ensure everything is in place so I can apply immediately after I get the degree? Can I get my skills verified before I apply and do the English competency test?

Also my daughter who is 24 and completing her bachelors degree next year. What is her best preparation? She was hoping to start her masters next year or is she better getting work experience?

Thanks guys

Unfortunately I suspect this ship has sailed for you. It is nigh on impossible for anyone to pass a points test after the 45th birthday, it would probably require a PhD and years of work experience. I would fear that your work experience won't even count because it would need to be post degree qualification. As VS asked, have you looked into how you will get the points?

As for your daughter, I think she should pursue whatever education and career path she chooses without reference to Australia. There is no point even thinking of it for her until she has established herself in a career. If she ever does get to Australia, maybe she can sponsor you for a parent visa in the future.

Thanks for replying. I don't know what I was looking at previously but you are right I don't have enough points. Looks like there's no possibility now My daughter was applying for her own visa with her daughter. She's studying criminology.

Your daughter will need to develop her career for some time to come and that would of course depend on if the career is on the skills list, bearing in mind the lists change all the time. On the positive, if she were in the future able to obtain a visa, once settled in Australia, she could sponsor you for a parent visa

Thanks for replying. I don't know what I was looking at previously but you are right I don't have enough points. Looks like there's no possibility now My daughter was applying for her own visa with her daughter. She's studying criminology.

How was your daughter going to get a visa anyway? Studying alone very rarely is a means to getting a visa, I am 100% sure that criminology studies would not provide a visa path. She would need to complete studies, commence her career an then look to see if the occupation is in demand.

I think all you can do is wait and see what happens and think about the parent visa in the future should your daughter find a pathway. You would perhaps still be of working age and so would still need the degree to work as a nurse in Australia regardless of visa.

She was going to do her pcge for teaching and then get her work experience if needed. We weren't sure and then apply for her visa.

It will depend on what she goes into teaching as, both for visas and career wise as some areas are very much not in demand in Australia. She will need to check the full details for the skills assessment, however it is likely to be at least 2-3 years post qualification experience needed. So, it is a long term thing with a year of PGCE then getting the experience. Assuming it is still then on the list, she may be able to get a visa. She would then need to live in Australia for 2 years before she could sponsor you. Be aware that this is expensive. A parent visa will be about 50k at current price and that is likely to rise significantly. But, it is all possible.

Archived