Dilemma

GillianRochester

Hi, hope someone can help. My 89 year old father currently lives in Melbourne and is an Australian citizen. He has lived in Australia for over 40 years. Can anyone advise what I need to do to assist him. He wants to sell up and return home. He is on his own and wants to return to the UK to be with the family. As he is now an Australian citizen can he apply for a UK passport as he was originally born in the UK?

He receives a pension in Australia and a small pension from the UK. He also has a property that he will sell. He will use the proceeds from the sale of his property to support himself.

When he returns his UK state pension will start to be index-linked again - though this increase will probably be deducted from his Aus pension, which as far as I know he will continue to receive (check with them).

Guest Priscilla101

He may not be entitled to nhs care as he hasn't lived in uk for so long. Just a consideration as he will eventually deteriorate and may need social care. Especially with the system changing and moving to more privatised care model (Branson has bought some services)

He may not be entitled to nhs care as he hasn't lived in uk for so long. Just a consideration as he will eventually deteriorate and may need social care. Especially with the system changing and moving to more privatised care model (Branson has bought some services)

So long as you are 'ordinarily resident' in the UK then NHS services are free - you may need to prove you are ordinarily resident but if you have sold up in Australia & have a permanent address in the UK then that really isn't difficult. They say it can take 'up to three months' but it really depends on the exact circumstances - we got treatment within 2 weeks of moving back - in any case as an Australian 'visitor' you are entitled to necessary treatment under the reciprocal agreement.

Social care is a little different as this is provided by local councils. My dad is 85 and it looked like he was going to need nursing home care at one point, I was told this could only be provided in his own local council area. We moved him to our local council area and as soon as he was living there he got everything he needed - a OT & Social Worked visited almost immediately & assessed his needs - a stair lift and wet room were installed (free of charge) and various other adaptive equipment provided. This is in scotland so it may be different in England but the fact he had just moved there was not an issue.

I think if the circumstances make sense - my father moved after the death of my mother & your father's circumstances sound similar then 'residency' is immediately established and there is no issue gaining services. Even if this is not the case residency is normally establish within 3 months.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/coming-from-abroad-and-claiming-benefits-the-habitual-residence-test/the-habitual-residence-test-an-introduction/the-habitual-residence-test-how-a-decision-is-made/

This relates to claiming benefits and not NHS/Social Care entitlement but meeting these criteria would establish him as 'ordinarily resident' - all they are really looking for is your dad isn't here on a long holiday & trying to get treatment whilst he is here.

As others have said his pension provision needs to be carefully looked into though & depends a lot on the type of pension he gets in Australia, bear in mind it will become exposed to exchange rate variations too.