Obtaining a visiting visa for Oz with a criminal record.

rossco90

Hi guys,

I'm currently trying to get a visa for my visit to Australia at the start of next year but I'm unsure of what visa to get. I'm visiting for 2 months.

8 years ago I was done for drunk driving (still had a drink in me the morning after a night out) I got a 12 month driving ban and a fine but no jail sentence.

On the Oz visa page it says "If you have had one or more criminal convictions (in any country) for which the sentence or sentences (whether served or not) total 12 months or more you will not be permitted entry to Australia whilst holding an eVisitor. If you have had any criminal conviction in any country, a more appropriate visa for you to apply for may be a Visitor visa (subclass 600), rather than an eVisitor"

I'm not sure if 'sentences' mean jail time or referring to my 12 month ban. If it's means a jail sentence then I will surely go apply for the eVisitor visa?

Your help and advice is much appreciated.

Cheers.

Hi guys,

I'm currently trying to get a visa for my visit to Australia at the start of next year but I'm unsure of what visa to get. I'm visiting for 2 months.

8 years ago I was done for drunk driving (still had a drink in me the morning after a night out) I got a 12 month driving ban and a fine but no jail sentence.

On the Oz visa page it says "If you have had one or more criminal convictions (in any country) for which the sentence or sentences (whether served or not) total 12 months or more you will not be permitted entry to Australia whilst holding an eVisitor. If you have had any criminal conviction in any country, a more appropriate visa for you to apply for may be a Visitor visa (subclass 600), rather than an eVisitor"

I'm not sure if 'sentences' mean jail time or referring to my 12 month ban. If it's means a jail sentence then I will surely go apply for the eVisitor visa?

Your help and advice is much appreciated.

Cheers.

From what you have posted, you should be OK. Declare the matter.

Hi, wrussle

Thanks for replying. I'm just wondering if I should apply for the eVisitor (subclass 651) or Visitor visa (subclass 600) As I've got a criminal conviction I'm unsure of what one to apply for.

Thanks,

Ross

From what you have posted, you should be OK. Declare the matter.

As above. Twelve month driving ban and twelve month custodial sentence are two totally different things.

Thanks for getting back to me. I think I'm just getting paranoid about it for some reason. What visa do you recommend I apply for?

Thanks.

Archived