Citizenship, primary applicant applying first or wait secondary applicants?

dredg97

Hi All,

we were granted our Skilled Independent Permanent Visa (subclass 175) back in September 2012.

I first validated my visa as primary applicant in December 2012, found a job and moved all the family (wife and two small kids) in April 2013.

Next month (December 2016) it will be 4 years from my visa validation date, that means I will be able to apply for citizenship (I meet all the other requirements including residency).

The idea is to have just one ceremony for all the family once our application has been approved.

My questions are:

• Can I apply in December, have the test in January (or whenever available) and attend the ceremony together with the rest of the family later during the year (June 2017)?
  • Can I include my kids (aged 7 and 4) in my application in December, even if they first entered the country in April 2013 (so technically even if they haven't been in Australia for 4 years)?

The other option is to wait for April 2017, when all secondary applicants will have spent 4 years in Australia, and apply all together at the same time, hence sharing the same timeline. In this case, hopefully we will be able to sort everything out before September 2017 when the visa expires, without the need to apply for a Resident Return Visa.

Thanks you in advance.