When to send AHPRA application?

Bound4Tassie

So we're planning on moving over to Aus in mid Nov 2017. I will need to register with AHPRA in order to work. Hoping to work asap after arrival. Just having a look at the application form and wondering when to apply. Not sure how long they take to process these forms....any ideas?

On the form it says if you pay the application & reg fee between Sept 30th -Nov 30th you will be registered until the following November. So does that mean if I apply/pay earlier than Sept 30th 2017, I will pay for that year ( remainder of) then have to pay again when I arrive in Nov? Or not because I'll only be registered in principle?

If I wait to apply & pay on Sept 30th are they likely to have processed/registered me by mid November?

Also slightly concerned by the evidence required for cat D ( Aussie residential address) as we'll initially be living with inlaws so won't have rates/ utility bills/ tenancy in our names and I can't register to vote as a non citizen. Hmmm.

Confused.com!

Any advice/ experience welcomed!

Hi I applied for AHPRA in october 2015 had in principle letter in jan 2026. Arrived in May 2016 and went for identificatin places on register in june and my registration expires june 2017. As for addrress open a bank account from the uk on ur inlaws addrees and this will be prrof of your address. Good luck.

Guest Priscilla101

The application process can take a while. This is to get all your ducks lined up, your uni to send their stuff, nmc to play fair.

You pay for application fee but you are not on the register till you rock up in person. They can authorise you but appreciate you need to get there so give you a year from when they deem you acceptable to turn up.

The rest is like the nmc where by the fee is x amount even if you're not there for the full year. Also ahpra actually expect you to do 20 hours of cod each year and it is normal to be audited on this.

You can can send your stuff to get the process rolling but delay by waiting to contact nmc for their form. As long as you keep in contact with your case officer it's all good

Guest Priscilla101

Oh as for address. You put uk one. When you turn up you change it for registration it to wherever you're living in oz. I had mine as cousins house till I got sorted. then you can change it online when you move.

You also need need to join the union as this is your indemnity insurance, but not until you start work. The main (only ahem) one is ANMF. I personally don't like their stupidity over stuff but it's a must.

I applied in October 2015 and got registration in principle in Jan 2016, I arrived in perth this week so went to the AHPRA office with all my ID and was told I should be fully registered within the next 10 days. I put my inlaws address and just got a letter stamped from the bank.

I was told I will not need to pay anything until May 2017 as this is when you reregiister!!. I made sure I got the NMC to resend a copy of my COGS and 're did another police check just to make sure they were within 3 months. Good luck

My AHPRA was processed very quickly in June this year. I sent docs off 1st June (from UK) to Adelaide office, it was received mid June, AHPRA granted 29th June. Caught me off guard as I now need to present by 29th June 2017 and we were planning on going at the end of the school year 2017 :wub:

Hi there,

I ended up applying twice. My first application was agreed in principle really quickly (about 2 months) but then I was expected to present in person with ID and a job offer within 6 months. I was still awaiting my visa at this point (held up by AIR taking so long). They actually did refund me the application fee, but my second application had to be from scratch with the notorised documents submitted again. Seemingly the information required had changed in the 6 months and they required more info on my uni course modules. (Paige03, I feel for you if you end up applying again).

So the timing is really tricky, as for registration confirmation they want you to have a job, so from acceptance you have 6 months to travel here and find the job.

For the presenting with ID, I took my passport, my visa, the new Australian driving licence I'd transferred, my house Leese agreeement for address and they asked me to bring along my boarding pass(?) to show I had entered the country and to bring a print out of the email they had sent me (?)

For me me as a radiographer, once I had AHPRA, I could then apply for a Radiation Use Licence. This means I still can't work for another week, my new employer has been understanding that I've had to jump through these hoops.

Edited by Debs