Do i need to inform the tax office I'm emigrating?

Jaimecol

Hi,

I'm moving to Australia in December, I've been granted permanent residency but have not lived in Aus since I've been granted it. I'm not sure if I need to inform the tax office about my move or if i just leave it be?

Over the last few years I've always to complete a self assessment tax return. Any advice would be much appreciated

There is no requirement whatsoever to inform HMRC, UK is not a police state and you are free to come and go as you please.

If however you believe you would be entitled to a tax refund, then you may wish to inform them via completing a P85 which is a tax refund form. And if you are required to complete tax returns, then you would of course need to highlight your non resident status at that point.

There is no requirement whatsoever to inform HMRC, UK is not a police state and you are free to come and go as you please.

If however you believe you would be entitled to a tax refund, then you may wish to inform them via completing a P85 which is a tax refund form. And if you are required to complete tax returns, then you would of course need to highlight your non resident status at that point.

sure?

https://www.gov.uk/moving-or-retiring-abroad

Sure? (2)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/10172298/One-surveillance-camera-for-every-11-people-in-Britain-says-CCTV-survey.html

I tried to tell them as there used to be a form for it the last time I left the UK in the mid 1990s. However, I think this was to do with the Foreign Earnings Deduction which was abolished in about 2000

This time when I left I tried to tell them, they just told me to put it on my tax return, which I did. They didn't pay any attention though, obviously, because they kept sending me tax returns - and then penalties - to an address I didn't live at. I found out last year and it took loads of phone calls to sort it out. Hopeless.

I wasn't worried because I knew I had no liability, but still......