Partner Visa Onshore

Bex Pearle

Hi all

I met my partner last Oct on a working holiday visa and are going to apply for a partner visa next year. My visa runs out in April so I know we will be pushing it fine.

I have started filling out the application now - I put the date we moved in together as the start of the relationship. Our relationship is registered in NSW where we live, but our application will be submitted before we have been together for 12 months. I have noticed that the form doesn’t have an option for relationship registration, which I am guessing we need to add it in the box asking why we are applying before 12 months?

We have plenty of financial evidence of our relationship – joint bank accounts, joint lease, car insurance but my concern is the social aspect. While we have receipts of hotel bookings and plenty of photos we are both quite introverted and don’t have many friends here. My brother is an Australian citizen and him and his wife said they will sign a stat dec and we are going to ask our mutual acquaintances if they will, one is a police officer if that has any weight at all. To make it worse, my partner no longer speaks to her mother and I am unsure if her sister or father will sign one because they reject every effort we make to see them. I am worried this will go badly against us.

Any advise at all would be appreciated on evidence and also how to document it – I see on the online form there are just boxes to fill in with text for each of the four sections. I am unsure really if the approach they want is something like:

We support each other financially. We share the cost of food and social activities. Please see attached joint bank account statements from x date to present.

And so on and so forth.

Becky you seem to know what you are talking about and from what you have written you don't seem to have any issues. As you know, the 12 month requirement does not apply since you have registered your relationship, so you are fine on that front. And a statement from a police officer as well as one relative will also be fine. There is no rule at all that you have to provide a statement from each side of the family.

The Department doesn't need hundreds of documents, they just want a good selection that confirms that you have been and are in a genuine and continuing relationship. The Department also doesn't care if you have a hundred friends or just a handful. How social or antisocial you are is not relevant to your application.

As I said, from what you have written, I can't see any issues. I'd wait with submitting the application until you are quite close to the expiry of your current visa, so that there is as much time as possible up your sleeve for the length of your relationship, but do make sure that you submit before your current visa expires.

Don't forget that as soon as you have submitted your application you have to also submit the sponsorship application!!! (This can't be pre-prepared all the way, it will only work fully once you have submitted the main application.)

Best of luck!

Becky you seem to know what you are talking about and from what you have written you don't seem to have any issues. As you know, the 12 month requirement does not apply since you have registered your relationship, so you are fine on that front. And a statement from a police officer as well as one relative will also be fine. There is no rule at all that you have to provide a statement from each side of the family.

The Department doesn't need hundreds of documents, they just want a good selection that confirms that you have been and are in a genuine and continuing relationship. The Department also doesn't care if you have a hundred friends or just a handful. How social or antisocial you are is not relevant to your application.

As I said, from what you have written, I can't see any issues. I'd wait with submitting the application until you are quite close to the expiry of your current visa, so that there is as much time as possible up your sleeve for the length of your relationship, but do make sure that you submit before your current visa expires.

Don't forget that as soon as you have submitted your application you have to also submit the sponsorship application!!! (This can't be pre-prepared all the way, it will only work fully once you have submitted the main application.)

Best of luck!

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. :)

It is a shame we do not have the support of her family but I am glad they don't need statements from both sides.

Our lease runs out in Feb so I think we will probably submit it in March so we can renew our lease. My visa expires early April, so we have a good while to prepare.

You only need 2 stat decs from Aus citizens or people with PR to submit with your application. So it doesn't matter if people on her side of the family don't write anything. The stat decs don't *have* to be from family.

We had a friend and a family member write ours. We had 2 other family members write them also (we asked them as extra in case some didn't make it and got lost in the post) but didn't submit them as they application only asks for 2. I know some people do submit more but its not like you are expected or required to submit 5 or 6 or anything.

You only need 2 stat decs from Aus citizens or people with PR to submit with your application. So it doesn't matter if people on her side of the family don't write anything. The stat decs don't *have* to be from family.

We had a friend and a family member write ours. We had 2 other family members write them also (we asked them as extra in case some didn't make it and got lost in the post) but didn't submit them as they application only asks for 2. I know some people do submit more but its not like you are expected or required to submit 5 or 6 or anything.

Because we have only been in a de facto since March, I want ways to strengthen our case that our relationship is genuine (if that is possible to do). Hoping a couple extra stat decs will help us.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys

There isn't a minimum income stated on the government website that the sponsor must earn. My partner has worked for the same company for three years but on a 20 hour week contract. Recently she has started a six month relief position working full time at the same company but her payslip still says she is contracted to 20 hours and has the rest as additional hours. We hoped she would be able to get a full time job during the course of our relationship but the additional hours were all she could manage. On her wage alone, as it is now with the additional hours, she could just about to cover our bills and rent alone without me working. I do have some savings in a uk bank, but not a huge amount. We have very little savings here together.

I am healthy and degree educated, and have supported myself here for a year and a half with no issues.

With this into consideration, and that we will have just been living together 12 months if we lodge the visa, would we be better going to the UK together? She has a British passport and so doesn't need a visa.

My daughter was in a similar position to you. Met when she was on a WHV 5 years ago and now PR. Moved in together in Mach having met the previous nov. registered their relationship in the sept. and lodged their 820 in dec. Had no problems lodging as they had registered, so unless the rules have changed lodge as early as you think fit, as soon as lodged your 2 year wait to lodge the 801 starts.