AFP Check rules for 189 visa

BrizzyBenny

Hi

Do I need to get an AFP Check for a 189 visa?

I lived in Australia for around 10 months the total period was 12 months July to July however I had a break for 2 months to go home to England.

The advice on the website seems like it contradicts itself.

Kind regards

Ben

In order for your visa or citizenship application to be processed, you need to provide evidence of your 'good character'. Good character covers the 'enduring moral qualities of a person' and whether they are likely to uphold and obey the Australian laws while in Australia, and other commitments they may make through the Australian Citizenship Pledge.

All visa and citizenship applicants are required to provide a penal clearance certificate or police check from each country visited, if:

• you lived or travelled outside Australia since the age of 18 years or over; and

• the total time spent outside Australia added up to 12 months or more; and

• the time spent in any one country was more than 90 days; or

• you are requested to do so by the department.

For more information and country-specific instructions on how to obtain a police clearance, see Character and police certificate requirements

[h=3]For Visa applications[/h]If you have lived in Australia for a total of 12 months or more in the last 10 years (these 12 months are calculated cumulatively, not consecutively) you are required to provide an Australian Federal Police (AFP) clearance by completing aNational Police Check Online Application Form

If you wish to post the form, you can request for a form by calling the AFP helpdesk on +61 2 6202 3333.

The AFP website contains details of the fees for National Police Checks

[h=3]For Citizenship applications[/h]Persons applying for Australian citizenship aged 18 years and over must satisfy the 'good character' requirements.

Any applicant for citizenship by conferral, whether under or over 18 years of age, cannot be approved for citizenship in certain circumstances relating to criminal offences.

For more information about the character requirement, see Good character and offences

Archived