Spoke to an agent in Australia and unsure whether to persue ?.

Carlytip

I am after some advice... We have just returned from visiting my parents in qld and whilst there i was recommended a migration lawyer to discuss our visa options. I emailed him our situation.... Basically my husband works for Network Rail as a maintenance team leader. He did used to be a welder for them for 9 years and has certificates for MMA welding. He finished thst position 6 years ago. The lawyer has advised that there is a possibility he could do the skills assessment for 'first class welder' and then he would also need to get a pass mark of 8 on each band of the EILTS test to gain the 60 points required.

My question really is.. What does the skills assessment involve? Does this sound like it is an option?. We have looked over the description for first class welder and it appears similar to his experience on the railway but obviously its been 6 years since he did it and it could be really different welding skills involved.

Is it worth a shot or just a waste of money if the chances of passing are extremely slim. We are desperate to be with our family so just looking at any possible routes.

I am after some advice... We have just returned from visiting my parents in qld and whilst there i was recommended a migration lawyer to discuss our visa options. I emailed him our situation.... Basically my husband works for Network Rail as a maintenance team leader. He did used to be a welder for them for 9 years and has certificates for MMA welding. He finished thst position 6 years ago. The lawyer has advised that there is a possibility he could do the skills assessment for 'first class welder' and then he would also need to get a pass mark of 8 on each band of the EILTS test to gain the 60 points required.

My question really is.. What does the skills assessment involve? Does this sound like it is an option?. We have looked over the description for first class welder and it appears similar to his experience on the railway but obviously its been 6 years since he did it and it could be really different welding skills involved.

Is it worth a shot or just a waste of money if the chances of passing are extremely slim. We are desperate to be with our family so just looking at any possible routes.

If there is a 6-year work gap in relevant employment, there will be issues obtaining a positive skills assessment as a welder.

May I suggest that you consult a registered migration agent to see whether a viable visa strategy can be developed?

Your husband will have to be able to show 3 recent years of employment in order to be able to receive a positive skills assessment as a welder. So even though your husband may not have to claim work experience points in order to meet the points test (at least 60 points) I do not think that your husband will be able to get over the first hurdle, which is the skills assessment.

Quoting directly from the skills assessment criteria for welders (the criteria for different occupations do vary):

To be eligible for assessment you must have:

 a minimum of five years’ paid full time employment in your trade at the required level

 worked in your trade in the last three years.