189 process start to finish?

Hi,

Trying to explain the process to my wife so she can get her head round it before we start in april 17.

The way I think it goes is-

We instruct an agent, they lodge a request for a skills assesment, my wife gathers docs from work getting stuff signed to say shes done certain bits, we get it notarised, she sits the ielts.

Once passed the application for a 189 visa logged we get our medical and police checks done, we get a decissition on visa.

Please correct me im sure I'm wrong somewhere.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Hi SuperstadDJ01 -

Those are the broad strokes - in more detail (and I've omitted the agent part since you can have an agent do all, some, or none of this):

0. Using the skilled points test, ensure that you will have at least 60 points - this is necessary to lodge an EOI for a 189 visa. 190 visa requires 55 (+5 from state), 489 visa requires 50 (+ 10 from state)

1. Gather documents necessary for skills assessment and lodge skills assessment application. This usually includes employer reference letters and related documents, but all assessors are different

2. If IELTS required for skills assessment, obtain suitable IELTS results prior to lodging skills assessment, otherwise obtain suitable IELTS results prior to lodging Expression of Interest (EOI)

3. Lodge EOI with your SkillSelect account from DIBP

4. Await invitation to apply for 189 (waiting time depends on your points test score and the number of people ahead of you in the queue for your occupation)

5. If/when invitation arrives, apply within 60 days and include all required documents (will be some of the same documents you used for skills assessment, plus more)

6. Await visa decision from DIBP

Hope this helps -

Best,

Mark Northam

Archived