820 Partner Sponsor - How long to expect to wait from application to grant?

Hi, I applied for a permanent residency 820 Visa back on Dec 4th 2014, and I am wondering how long will it take before I am granted permanent residency? My immi account states "This application will be eligible for consideration for permanent residence 2 years from lodgement (commencement date)."

So far so good with my application, back in Feb this year I was granted an upgraded Bridging Visa that allows me to leave Aus for a few months.

Will I be granted permanent residency in Dec? or would I be expected to wait longer than that? As I am looking to start studying and hoping if it's completed in time then I can possibly claim Ausstudy and also get cheaper rates on courses. Thanks!

Hi Draqen4 -

The onshore partner visa is a combination of 2 applications - the subclass 820 provisional partner visa and the subclass 801 permanent (PR) partner visa. Typically the 820 is taking 12-18 months to be processed, but sometimes longer. You are eligible to put through additional forms and documents to further the 801 application 2 years after the original application date as the 820 is usually granted first unless you are in a long term partner relationship.

If the initial decision on your visa application happens more than 24 months after you lodged the application, DIBP normally grants the PR partner visa (801) straight away since you would already qualify to be considered for it. Otherwise, if the 820 is granted prior to December, you can put through additional forms/evidence as soon as you reach 2 years from the original time of application for the visa.

Hope this helps -

Best,

Mark Northam

SC820 is not a permanent residency visa, and should be finalised less then 1 and a half year, only very limited number of applications took longer. If your 820 is still under processing, then it hay have some problem with the application.

Hi, I applied for a permanent residency 820 Visa back on Dec 4th 2014, and I am wondering how long will it take before I am granted permanent residency? My immi account states "This application will be eligible for consideration for permanent residence 2 years from lodgement (commencement date)."

So far so good with my application, back in Feb this year I was granted an upgraded Bridging Visa that allows me to leave Aus for a few months.

Will I be granted permanent residency in Dec? or would I be expected to wait longer than that? As I am looking to start studying and hoping if it's completed in time then I can possibly claim Ausstudy and also get cheaper rates on courses. Thanks!

Ah thank you. I've been getting confused about the Visa numbers so I think I've already been granted the 820. as the document I have says "Notification of grant of a Partner (Temporary) (class UK) Partner (subclass 820) visa" which I received in Feb 2016. So it must be the 801 I'm actually waiting on then actually i think?

It can be any time after2 yrs. Current processing time is somewhere between 6 to 10 month, most applicants. Did you tell the DIBP your relationship is still ongoing and neither of you have pulled out?

So I guess my question is actually how long is expected before the 801 becomes granted after the date of application? Thank you