Differences between England and Australia what do you miss?. Food, people, education etc

Mmirfin

If you get visitors come for 2 weeks you'll be doing well. We quickly realised we had to put a time limit on some visitors, parents really, as they had ideas they might come for 3 months.

Problem is, for some reason everyone that comes seems to think everyone in Aus is loaded, just here to run a hotel and provide transport and sightseeing. They forget you have to go to work, pay the mortgage, pay for petrol, food, beer.

Mum used to stay for 4 months at times. Mind you she was an absolute pleasure to have around. We at times have had sons/daughters of friends/relatives (backpacking) stay with us for extended periods and mostly they were fun to have in the house but some were a pain in the arse and used the place like a hotel. Soon got rid of them by telling them they would have far more fun in a hostel. Friends from the UK usually stay for 4 weeks and are quite independent - hire a car and chip in with food etc ................... just as we would if we stayed with them.

To be honest ill be very surprised if my parents both visited.. they are very .. we love england and dont have the adventurous drive i have to explore different parts of the world and they hate plane journeys.. iv always been very independent and done my own thing hence why i think the "missing friends and family" will be something that wont effect me as i live far away from my family now... but the idea of them coming over for few weeks would be ideal lol. Anyone give any advice for planning the move? i dont know where to start and ideally i just want to get out there asap. we cant rent our house until beginning of the new year unfortunately otherwise id be selling, packing moving asap. i have a child thats 1 in march and a 3 year old and im completely confused on where to start with the whole taking stuff over! i dont know wether to get a large cube thing iv seen mentioned and take all my boys stuff so they are not upset when we get there as my 3 year old LOVES his bed and to not worry about the sofas etc.. or move everything! what to do :/

Just to add my two cents, I can't say I actually 'miss' anything, that said there are a few foods I gravitate to when I travel back to the UK to see family and friends.

I agree with the light summer nights but as it is generally warner here its something you do get past pretty quick, just light a fire in the back yard and sit back and enjoy a cold one :)

Australia isn't for everyone, then again neither is moving abroad full stop, my advice is simple, come with an open mind, give yourself time to adjust to things before making any judgements and I am sure you will have a blast :)

Anyone give any advice for planning the move? i dont know where to start and ideally i just want to get out there asap. we cant rent our house until beginning of the new year unfortunately otherwise id be selling, packing moving asap. i have a child thats 1 in march and a 3 year old and im completely confused on where to start with the whole taking stuff over! i dont know wether to get a large cube thing iv seen mentioned and take all my boys stuff so they are not upset when we get there as my 3 year old LOVES his bed and to not worry about the sofas etc.. or move everything! what to do :/

I would break everything down into managable chunks - including asking for advice on here - so that its easier to track that line of thought....

Get a cheap whiteboard to make notes of stuff as you think of it!

In terms of the moving bit, we used a movecube and i thought it was great. The whole movecube/container/suitcase approach largely depends on how much stuff you want to bring.. and you'll probably want a list for that.

Bear in mind, unless you take it on the plane with you, you'll need to allow 8-12 weeks of not having that stuff.. so 12 weeks before you go, or 12 weeks after you arrive, or, as we did, 6 and 6. That helps focus what you'll want to bring. -

Plenty of movecube/container threads, or start your own