Aus Visa going to New Zealand

Colin

Hi, I'm not sure if anyone can help as this is a little random and maybe on the wrong site but here goes!

A few years I got a 175 (perm res) visa for Australia, I went over within a year to validate the visa but for personal reasons have not been back since. This Visa expires one year from now. If I used this Visa to go to Australia as long as I stay for two years I should be allowed to get Return Visas in order to come and go from Aus and there would be no issues.

I have been offered a position in New Zealand and this Visa will allow me to move there with the same conditions. Therefore I should be able to travel to NZ to work and stay forever.

My question is will I be able to get a Return visa from anyone in New Zealand after a two year period or will I have had to spend two years in Aus?

I basically need to find out if I will be a prisoner in NZ once I arrive or are there means to take a holiday or visit family back home! My current thought is sit it out for five years and get citizenship but if my family become ill or something happens at home I need to get back for then I will lose everything :(

Thanks if anyone is able to help.

Hi, I'm not sure if anyone can help as this is a little random and maybe on the wrong site but here goes!

A few years I got a 175 (perm res) visa for Australia, I went over within a year to validate the visa but for personal reasons have not been back since. This Visa expires one year from now. If I used this Visa to go to Australia as long as I stay for two years I should be allowed to get Return Visas in order to come and go from Aus and there would be no issues.

I have been offered a position in New Zealand and this Visa will allow me to move there with the same conditions. Therefore I should be able to travel to NZ to work and stay forever.

My question is will I be able to get a Return visa from anyone in New Zealand after a two year period or will I have had to spend two years in Aus?

I basically need to find out if I will be a prisoner in NZ once I arrive or are there means to take a holiday or visit family back home! My current thought is sit it out for five years and get citizenship but if my family become ill or something happens at home I need to get back for then I will lose everything :(

Thanks if anyone is able to help.

You won't be a prisoner in New Zealand, you can leave whenever you like. Its coming back into oz that is the issue.

You have a valid ozzie PR so you can come and go from New Zealand. You can't come back to Oz after the 5 years is up though, unless oz grants you a RRV. And that would depend on your ties to oz. They wn't care whether you are in NZ or Mongolia, its your ties to oz that will count.

I would suggest looking at the NZ immigration site and see how you go about PR or citizenship there, once you are onshore.

Haha ok I didn't mean prisoner in that sense, but if I left to see family should there be an issue at home I'd be unable to return and therefore my job will be lost as well. That's my biggest fear to be fair.

So what you have said clarifies what my thoughts are. As I'm not in Aus then Australia will have no reason to give me a rrv which to be fair is understandable. I will have to find out if nz will be able to offer me a similar temporary visa or like you suggest go out there and look at other visa options.

Thanks for your help :)

Haha ok I didn't mean prisoner in that sense, but if I left to see family should there be an issue at home I'd be unable to return and therefore my job will be lost as well. That's my biggest fear to be fair.

So what you have said clarifies what my thoughts are. As I'm not in Aus then Australia will have no reason to give me a rrv which to be fair is understandable. I will have to find out if nz will be able to offer me a similar temporary visa or like you suggest go out there and look at other visa options.

Thanks for your help :)

Yes you should look into NZ visas. You can go to NZ and start work on the back of the Australian visa but once the five years expires you would not be able to travel to and from NZ any more and it is doubtful you could secure an Australian RRV. Obviously you will not get a NZ RRV (if they have such a thing).

• 3 weeks later...

I have found out some additional information so thought I'd update the thread. An Australian Permanent Resident Visa holder can enter NZ with this Visa. Upon arrival you will then be issued with a NZ PR visa. You will then be able to apply for flexible travel visas to come and go from NZ.

In theory there should be no issues for me except as my visa has an expiry date nobody will confirm whether NZ authorities will class this visa as permanent. I think it will be fine but when you will be leaving your job and flying across the world some guarantees would be nice at this stage.

I have approached some Visa people but they seem a bit fluffy and want to push me into applying for a new visa completely (not surprising as they will earn more money from this). I'm going to keep pressing ahead and try to find out some more, hopefully I can update with some good news soon!

I looked into this fairly recently out of curiosity. All Australian PR/Citizens are given temporary perm. residence in NZ when you arrive but it's cancelled the moment you leave. If you wish to become an actual NZ perm. resident there's some form you can fill in to request it. This give you the full rights/benefits of regular NZ citizens/PR which doesn't vapourize each time you go on holiday. I can't remember what conditions, if any there were.. but I believe it was just the intent to settle down there.

Wooba,

Yes, things are starting to look pretty positive now, although I have spent most of my nightshift finally getting to the bottom of it. Apparently I will need a variation of conditions to my visa which isn't that cheap AND I'm not sure why I need this just yet, but the main thing is that it can be done :)

I looked into this fairly recently out of curiosity. All Australian PR/Citizens are given temporary perm. residence in NZ when you arrive but it's cancelled the moment you leave. If you wish to become an actual NZ perm. resident there's some form you can fill in to request it. This give you the full rights/benefits of regular NZ citizens/PR which doesn't vapourize each time you go on holiday. I can't remember what conditions, if any there were.. but I believe it was just the intent to settle down there.

Wooba, Yes, things are starting to look pretty positive now, although I have spent most of my nightshift finally getting to the bottom of it. Apparently I will need a variation of conditions to my visa which isn't that cheap AND I'm not sure why I need this just yet, but the main thing is that it can be done :)

Well I would make sure you get a cast iron guarantee on that. I personally think you are wrong. I have been on migration forums for a long time and this has come up loads of times. The consensus has always been that once your Australian travel rights expire the NZ ones will too and you would have to go through the NZ visa process or stay put until citizenship. If you find out otherwise, in that you manage to re-enter NZ after the Australian visa has expired then would love to hear about it as it would be useful to know.

Wooba,

Yes, things are starting to look pretty positive now, although I have spent most of my nightshift finally getting to the bottom of it. Apparently I will need a variation of conditions to my visa which isn't that cheap AND I'm not sure why I need this just yet, but the main thing is that it can be done :)

According to the NZ website the variation is needed to your NZ visa that they issue you on entering, and is aplied for before you leave NZ at any time.

Are you getting your advice from a registered agent or from the 'fluffy visa people' you mentioned before?

In your shoes I think I'd be looking to apply for a NZ visa at the earliest opportunity, not relying on the Australian one.

Wooba,

All you need to do is fill in form INZ1175. The fee is only NZ$190 (I entered Auckland as place of residence since I figured that would be the most expensive). The NZ immigration website clearly says that if you enter as an Australian resident you are entitled to stay indefinitely. If you submit this form and are approved it should give you full travel/return rights indefinitely. I'd certainly verify that with immigration, but it seems pretty clear cut to me. I know that when I read about this a couple of months ago it stated that this would put you on the path to obtaining NZ citizenship too if desired. The website has changed now though and I'm not going to research it that thoroughly now :)

Reading through the form a bit more closely. In the permanent resident part it says this

You must have held a resident visa for at least 24 months before you can be granted a permanent resident visa.

If you have held a resident visa for a shorter period, you will not be granted a permanent resident visa and may

be granted a 12-month variation of travel conditions instead.

I remember more clearly after reading that. Applying for the travel conditions change allows you to leave the country without impacting that 24 month requirement. ie, you don't start from 0 each time you enter the country. So worst case scenario, if you live in NZ for 24 months without leaving you will be eligible to apply for permanent residence. If you want to travel then you need to get the travel conditions change first.

Bungo,

I have been informed the Variation of conditions form will allow me to come and go. I did a little digging around myself after and found this information which pretty much backs everything up.

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-zealand-visas/apply-for-a-visa/tools-and-information/general-information/variation-of-travel-conditions

Well I would make sure you get a cast iron guarantee on that. I personally think you are wrong. I have been on migration forums for a long time and this has come up loads of times. The consensus has always been that once your Australian travel rights expire the NZ ones will too and you would have to go through the NZ visa process or stay put until citizenship. If you find out otherwise, in that you manage to re-enter NZ after the Australian visa has expired then would love to hear about it as it would be useful to know.