Company Secretary

nesma ewaida

I'm currently working as a secretary in an advertising company for over 8 years now , I'm intending to apply for migration visa 489 to southern australia , as my job is on demand there

I don't hold a relevant degree , I have a bachelor degree in philosophy

what are my odds to get a positive assessment , any one had the same experience

and what is the difference between secretary and a company secretary:skeptical:

I really hope the assessment works well

Hello,

COMPANY SECRETARY

Plans, administers and reviews corporate compliance activities and effective practice concerning company board meetings and shareholdings, ensuring all business matters and transactions are managed and implemented as directed by the board.

Skill Level: 1

Tasks Include:

arranging, giving notice of and attending meetings of directors and shareholders

advising organisations' governing boards on matters concerning compliance with stock exchange listing rules, relevant legislation and corporation practice

supervising organisations' share capital by preparing documents and share issues, and handling share transfers

controlling treasury and treasury systems and establishing and reviewing risk management objectives and treasury policies

identifying, managing and reporting on financial risks

assisting with equity management, debt management, securities and taxation planning issues

collecting, analysing and interpreting information on the financial standing, cost structures and trading effectiveness of organisations

devising, re-organising and establishing budgetary cost control and other accounting systems such as computer-based systems

conducting audits and investigations and preparing financial statements and reports for management, shareholders, and governing and statutory bodies

evaluating the cost effectiveness and risks of operational processes, activities, policies and systems

reporting to management on the existence and effectiveness of the system of internal controls

establishing audit objectives, and designing and implementing audit methodologies, processes and audit report criteria

Skill Assessment

You must obtain a positive skills assessment from VETASSESS. The VETASSESS assessment process examines the documentary evidence provided by you to determine your suitability for migration to Australia. The assessment will only be valid for a period of three years from the date of issue, unless a shorter validity period is specified on the assessment.

Company Secretary categories in Group B; According to the VETASSESS guidelines, Group B Occupations require a qualification/s assessed at AQF Bachelor degree or higher degree with a highly relevant field of study and at least one year of post-qualification highly relevant employment at an appropriate skill level completed in the last five years;

OR

qualification/s assessed at AQF Bachelor degree or higher degree with an additional qualification at least Australian qualifications Framework (AQF) Diploma level in a highly relevant field of study and at least two years of post-qualification highly relevant employment at an appropriate skill level completed in the last five years;

OR

qualification/s assessed at AQF Bachelor degree or higher degree without a highly relevant field of study and at least three years of post-qualification highly relevant employment at an appropriate skill level completed in the last five years;

Note: For pre-qualification employment (if all of your employment is before your qualification assessed at the AQF bachelor degree level), five years of relevant employment in addition to at least one year of highly relevant employment at an appropriate skill level completed in the last five years.

State Sponsorship (for a subclass 489 visa)

At the current time, the following States/territory are offering sponsorship for Company Secretary:

South Australia: To be eligible you must have sufficient funds for settlement, and

have completed a Bachelor degree or higher at a South Australian university or education institution; or

have worked in a skilled occupation in South Australia; or

have an immediate family member permanently residing in South Australia; or

have 80 points or higher (including state nomination points).

and

Competent Plus English (e.g. IELTS 6.5 in each band) (or Proficient overall) AND 3 years work experience in field.

Tasmania: Nomination Criteria:

Available to Tasmanian international graduates who studied for a minimum of one academic year (46 weeks);

or

have formal job offer for a job that is based in Tasmania in any fields (for a minimum of 35 hours per week);

or

have an immediate family member (parent, child, sibling, aunt, uncle, first cousin, or grandparent) permanently residing in Tasmania;

or

Available to small business owners with past business experience and management expertise who have a business plan.

Source: VETASSESS, Tasmania and South Australia government

I'm currently working as a secretary in an advertising company for over 8 years now , I'm intending to apply for migration visa 489 to southern australia , as my job is on demand there

I don't hold a relevant degree , I have a bachelor degree in philosophy

what are my odds to get a positive assessment , any one had the same experience

and what is the difference between secretary and a company secretary:skeptical:

I really hope the assessment works well

From what you have posted it seems most unlikely that you would be able to obtain positive skills assessment as a company secretary. Even if you were to obtain a positive skills assessment in this occupation, you would not be able successfully to apply for a visa without having an employer to nominate you.

This is not a considered professional opinion, but I suggest you obtain one before you commit to a course of action.

Nesma a "company secretary" as a skilled occupation is entirely different from the occupation of a "secretary (general)" working in a / for a company.

It is unclear from your message whether you are the former or the latter, but just to give you an idea, if you are a "company secretary" you have certain responsibilities that are very much similar to the role of a director of a company. From the ANZSCO, you need to do this kind of work:

If you are just a general secretary then that occupation is not listed on the SOL or CSOL which means that you cannot apply for a state sponsored visa as any skilled visa application has to be based on a SOL or CSOL listed occupation,

Thanks a lot for your response , you were right about the company secretary

The thing is my occupation is not just a Secretary I oversee and advise about projects handling clients and contracts follow up on a project from A to Z and also in charge of many other things , takes decision in a lot of matters

is that qualifies as a project administrator , as you can feel I'm so confused , can't nominate the proper occupation

I have the tasks of contract, project administrator, secretary , office manager and personal assistant combined

what's your advice ?

Unfortunately neither secretary, PA or office manager are in demand, so none of these really work.

As far as Project or Programme Administrator goes, for a successful skills assessment the tasks that you undertake on a daily basis (at least 20 hours a week) have to relate to the administration of specific programs or projects.

General clerical/administrative support for a business or organisation is not the same as program or project administration and will not be assessed positively for this occupation. Employment evidence provided must ideally specify the specific projects or programs that have been administered by the applicant.

Thanks a lot for your response , you were right about the company secretary

The thing is my occupation is not just a Secretary I oversee and advise about projects handling clients and contracts follow up on a project from A to Z and also in charge of many other things , takes decision in a lot of matters

is that qualifies as a project administrator , as you can feel I'm so confused , can't nominate the proper occupation

I have the tasks of contract, project administrator, secretary , office manager and personal assistant combined

what's your advice ?

Applying as a Project or Program Administrator would be a waste of time and money.

May I suggest that you consult a registered migration agent for advice about whether a viable visa strategy can be developed?

Archived