Medical !!???

Guest Dazza

Hi all

Just a quick question has anyone had there medical done at northampton , also i am wondering what exactly the medical envolves , iheard somewhere they ask if you can touch your toes and allsorts

I would be grateful if someone could put me right on what to expect

Thanks Daz :wink:

Guest mr_nastey

Hello Dazza,

Me, the misses and the kids have our meds. in Northampton tomorrow (Langham place and BMI Three Shires) so I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers

Steve.

Hi steve

Hope the medicals go well , id be grateful if you let me know how they are there in northampton ,Just puts my mind at rest

Thanks Daz

Guest mr_nastey

Hi Dazza,

We had our medicals on Thursday and it was a breeze.

Both the X-Rays (Three Shires) and the Medical (Langham Place) went like clockwork. I found out why though as I asked the radiologist how many Visa applicatiions she does and she says she has done hundreds, so it's no surprise they've got it under control.

Myself, my wife and my Son had to have X-Rays. The boy has only just turned 11 - Doh! if I had gone 2 months earlier he wouldn't have needed one which would have saved some cash. This is simply one chest X-Ray each and we were all done in 45mins.

Again the medicals were very good, we had Dr. Wilson who knew exactly what he was doing with the forms etc. so there were no dramas.

The medical procedure was a quick discusion about medical history you have put on the form, then a physical medical, which involved:

Eye test (letters on the wall)

Hearing test (nothing major just stand in the corner of the room and see if you can hear the Dr. whispering)

A bit of arm, leg and neck joint wiggling

Weight and Height measured

Strip to the pants for physical examination of internal organs and back (the Dr. pressing on your belly or back!)

And yes, you have to bend over, initially touching your knees and then your toes if you can.

Wee test for Sugar, blood or protein

And finally blood is taken for HIV testing and if you have tattoos some more blood for Hepatitus testing (this costs extra too).

So nothing unexpected and it is a really relaxed atmosphere. If the Dr. finds something he feels should be on the forms, he simply adds it, but at no time did it feel like the Spanish inquisition. In actual fact, it's quite worrying when you see all of the questions the Dr. has to answer on the forms, but we did not even discuss these.

My advice would be simply to make sure you have downloaded and completed your forms prior to going and the rest is no worries.

Obviously my medicals haven't got to Australia yet and I don't know if there were any issues, but at the moment in time I can highly recommend Three Shires and Langham place.

All the best

Steve.

Guest mr_nastey

Hello Johanne,

In total I paid £725; £175 for the X-Rays (3 people) and £550 for the medicals, though that includes the extra I had to pay for the Hep A & B blood testing as I have tatoos. Unfortunately I don't know how much extra.

The X-Ray costs aren't linear either. It may have only been an extra £25 or so for the 3rd X-Ray.

Sorry I can't be more specific.

Regards Steve.

We too used Northampton, back in June, all went with a breeze and exactly like Mr Nasty said. :D

Dazza, mr nasty where are you from / heading to, we are in Kettering )not for long tho!!)

Hi Steve

Thank you very much for Your reply that has completly put my mind at rest and am looking forward to getting my medical done and out the way , Ihave a couple of tatoo's as well so will have to have the other bloods aswell

Thank you again

Daz

Guest mr_nastey

You're welcome.

Shreck - I am based in Rugby and am currently in the quandry of where to live in Australia.

Of late I have been really swinging towards Perth, but my skills don't exactly match there (Mechanical Engineer - Automotive bias) but there is plenty of well paid mining work. It's just a bit of a gamble if I would be employed with no mining experience.

Most Oz Automotive work is based in Melbourne, but I'm not a fan of the climate, the pay and the house prices!!

Adelaide could be a good compromise, but it could be a little quiet for my liking.

Canberra also looks to be well located but I know very little about it.

Brisbane - Too hot

Sydney - Too expensive

So, I'm a little stuck really. The plan is to arrive, travel round a bit, check out jobs and locations and then decide. If finances permit :lol:

Regards Steve.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Steve

I've never been to Canberra, but I've heard it is full of civil servants and not much else, because all the Govt Departments have their HQs there. I don't know about the climate there either. It is too far inland to get any cooling sea-breezes in summer and I don't know how warm or cold it becomes.

My sister and bro in law live near Fremantle, and Neil has lived in Perth since he was 4. According to him, anywhere round Perth it pays to be within about 6 miles of the coast in order to get the cooling sea-breeze called the Fremantle Doctor. Neil reckons that the slight saltiness of the air and the breeze itself helps to keep the flies away in Summer too.

I've been to Perth/Freo a few times. I think it is excellent if you have children, because there are some good schools and my nephews (now 9 & 12) between them do just about every sport you can think of after school. The nightlife is nowhere near as lively as in Sydney or Melbourne however, I reckon.

My impression is that Adelaide has been rather quiet historically, but so many Brits are now moving there that it might be quite lively by now. I've not been there though. Personally my own favourite is Sydney, but I felt it would be pointless to move to the other side of a continent from my sister, and Perth has never really appealed to me. I am struck by how remote the place is. Sydney is equally remote but San Francisco somehow didn't feel too far away, I felt.

Cheers

Gill

The meds info was great - thanks from us too. Our application was sent 12 days ago and although we've got a while to go meds and stuff has crossed our mind. We've both got tattoos and didn't realis extra blood tests were needed - I've had mine years but that may have put Michael off if he thought it would add more cost to the medicals. We'll be using Northampton too, we're only in Rushden near Wellingborough

Hi Shreck

I am currantly based in Coventry

I will be going to Canberra as i am going on state sponsored visa so have to live and work in the ACT for 2 years , i have never been to canberra but have heard it is groing all the time so the building work is not a problem jobs wise , fingers crossed !!!

after my 2 years are up i would like to move up to Darwin ,I found that Darwin is a fantastic place , I have been to Melbourne ,Sydney ,adeliade seen most of victoria and been right through the middle staying at some of the remote places you prob not even none they where there

If anyone has been or even lived or worked in Canberra Please let me know what you thought of it

Thank you

Daz :wink: :?

Archived