Can I seek work whilst over on husband's 457

Judan

Hi,my husband's company have sponsored us to come over on a 4 year 457.... and yes we know the 90 day rule.

Anyway we are finally settled enough for me to seek work in local schools,all was going well.......until the school called me on to say that their education office personnell say I am unable to work on the visa,unless I am of course working for my husband's company.

Feeling flawed,lovely school and I need to get out of the house and most importantly earn some money!

Anyone able to work for an independent company other than the one their spouse works for(and that has sponsored the 457)?

Thanks in advance

Yes you can work - for anyone - and the information you have been given seems odd/wrong

However, *finding* work can be hard, because many employers take the view that as your residency/work rights rely on something over which they have no control (your husband's continuing employment by his sponsor), they'd prefer not to take the risk of losing you at no/short notice if someone else with more solid work/residency rights can do the job

The info from the school is wrong, but it does kind-of confirm the difficulties partners of 457 visa holders encounter whilst finding work.

Many partners of 457 visa holders end up in casual employment. It's more difficult finding full-time permanent positions when all you have is the right to work using a temporary visa.

Archived