Student Visa - Can I Volunteer?

Matt

Hi everyone.

Just a quick question,

Are student visa holders able to volunteer over and above the allowed 20 hours of work a week? For example, if I worked 20 hours at a job, and 10 hours volunteering for the Red Cross?

I understand you cant just "volunteer" for work that someone would usually be paid for, but would something like the Red Cross, Royal Flying Doctor, etc. be allowed? They wouldn't be paying an Australian PR/Citizen in the same situation so I'm thinking this is ok, but want to be on the safe side.

Thanks

[h=1]Voluntary, unpaid work, is not included in the limit of 40 hours per fortnight if it: [/h]

• is of benefit to the community
  • is for a non-profit organisation
  • is genuinely voluntary (that is, you are not paid either in cash or other—board and lodging is acceptable).

[h=1]Please see : https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Stud/More/Work-conditions-for-Student-visa-holders

[/h]Hope this helps :smile:

[h=1][/h]

Hi everyone.

Just a quick question,

Are student visa holders able to volunteer over and above the allowed 20 hours of work a week? For example, if I worked 20 hours at a job, and 10 hours volunteering for the Red Cross?

I understand you cant just "volunteer" for work that someone would usually be paid for, but would something like the Red Cross, Royal Flying Doctor, etc. be allowed? They wouldn't be paying an Australian PR/Citizen in the same situation so I'm thinking this is ok, but want to be on the safe side.

Thanks

you may do volunteer work on a student visa that is not counted towards your 40 hours of work per fortnight if

1) your main purpose in Australia is to study and any amount of volunteer work you do remains incidental to this

2) the work involved would not be undertaken by an Australian resident in return for wages

3) the work is genuinely voluntary for a not for profit organisation and no wage, cash or any payment is received in return for any of the work you did.

Hope this helps.

All the best

YMCA

Registered Migration Agent

MARN: 1685514

mobilemigratec@gmail.com

• 1 month later...

Bump?... I'm not able to find any info with regards to if you can volunteer before a course commences.

I called the DIBP office and talked to someone who went and checked with the "policy advisers", and they said you can, as long as it meets the same definition of genuine volunteer work as stated on the student work rights page (non-profit, benefit to community, etc.), but its not written anywhere!

Doesn't exactly make me feel confident that its ok to do.

Hi Matt

If before your course commence and you are already holding a student visa in Australia, then the rules I mentioned, as well as others in previous posts applied.

Hope this clarifies this time.

All the best

YMCA

MARN: 1685514

Archived