notarising/cerifying docs

baggo

Hi all

Can anyone advise on the difference between notarising and certifying? Which is required for visa, AHPRA etc? Any recommendations for places in south east london which do this cheaper than the Australian embassy would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Shaun

I got all my documents certified completely free at my nearest Justice of the Peace court. The Justice of the Peace checked my photographic evidence on the day (passport) and then took my oath, sworn testimony to tell the truth. They had a stamp to certify the document as a true copy and one providing the courts’ contact details. Then the JOP signed and dated each page. The whole process was supervised by a Judge or lawyer, I believe it’s a legal requirement.

In England, they are referred to as Magistrates’ courts - there's a few in London. In theory, the process should be pretty similar to the Scottish courts. If you do a google search you will find your nearest court. Call them up for an appointment and they'll specify what you need to bring with you on the day :)

I don't know the difference between notarising and certifying - but I do know DIAC accept what I did!

Edited by SiameseCat

I found a magistrate who is also a lecturer at the university I am studying at. I contacted him and he agreed to certify the colour copies of all the documents I had made for free. I pre printed the required statement from the Ahpra guidance and he just appended his name position date and signature to each document. He also stapled his business card to some of the more official documents. He doesn't have a stamp as no magistrate themselves do or even a registration number. As long as you follow the guidance on the website you will be fine.

If if you get documents notarised however this is different to certifying copies as a notary public has to ascertain that the original documents are legitimate and awarded correctly. This is why they charge a substantial fee and most refuse to just certify true copy. Magistrates in England don't tend to charge as they are all public volunteers. If the task is carried out at court they tend to charge a small fee of approx £60 to cover the admin and wages of the other staff supporting the process.