UK Spouse Visa question

Rainman

Hi,

Hope someone can help me with this.

We are planning on moving back next year but as my wife is an NZ citizen, she requires a Spouse Visa. I have been confirmed a job with the UK office of the company I currently work for in Australia and my proposed salary meets the income requirement of the Spouse Visa. Also, as it is an interoffice transfer, I will have continuity of service, though I'm not sure that will make a difference to the application. My question is, when should I apply for the Visa? I understand my wife cannot be in the UK when we apply but is there a minimum period that I have to be resident in Britain, before applying?

Thanks.

Don't wait, apply now. You just need to prove you have a job to go to, you don't need to be living in the UK at all.

The wording they use is confusing because it's all written as if your spouse is "joining" you in the UK, but actually most people apply before they've even packed up to go!

Important tip: The application is online, BUT there is an Appendix 2 which you also have to complete, which you have to print off and take with you. It may have changed, but when we did it, there ws no mention of appendix 2 on the online application and we very nearly missed it, which would've been disastrous.

That's good to know, thank you both. And thanks for the appendix 2 tip, I may have missed that. The wording is confusing, I had assumed I needed to be in the UK before applying. The likelihood is that I'll go over a couple of months prior to sort out a place to live etc. but it's a relief knowing we can apply here and I can leave knowing my wife and kids will be able to join me (assuming she gets approved).

In terms of the job confirmation letter/documentation does it need to be an actual contract or just something on the company stationary stating confirmation of a job, salary and start date?

That's good to know, thank you both. And thanks for the appendix 2 tip, I may have missed that. The wording is confusing, I had assumed I needed to be in the UK before applying.

In terms of the job confirmation letter/documentation does it need to be an actual contract or just something on the company stationary stating confirmation of a job, salary and start date?

Yes it is confusing, I don't know why they word it like that because I'd guess it's more common for people to be living together abroad than for one person to be already resident in the UK.

We applied while we were both living in Sydney so it is definitely absolutely fine to apply before you go.

Take a look at the Financial Requirement document and at Appendix 2 and see what they say about the documentation you have to attach. We did ours with savings so I can't help you there.

Archived