Caloundra/Pelican Waters/Little Mountain??

Guest SEFFnSARAH

Guest SEFFnSARAH

Hi All

Don't know if any of you lovely people can help.....We are looking to move out to Queensland once our visas are issued (although it feels as if that is never) but we don't know where. Have considered all over Sunshine and Gold but looking at RealEstate.com last night the properties around Caloundra/Pelican Waters/Little Mountain really appealed. We aren't going to be able to afford a reccie before we move so will rent for 6 months or so to make sure of the area but can anyone give us any advise on these places?

We have 2 children - George 4 and Ciara 3 so it appeals that it is pretty close to the beaches etc. Is the swimming pretty ok year round if we don't get somewhere with a pool (not too many jellyfish etc?) Are there plenty of parks etc. What are the other facilities in and around like - shopping (important for me), schools (important for the kids) and work in the building trade (important for OH - he is Fibrous Plasterer)!!?

How far from Brisbane? At this early stage Paul is willing to travel as he thinks the lifestyle we will hopefully have will make it worth his while.

Thanks for any replies in advance we may well be asking about somewhere else soon but at the moment this has definitely overtaken everywhere else.

Sarah:unsure:

Hiya, Sorry cant help you out, but these are lovely areas and I will be watching this thread too.

Thanks!

I'm no expert but I'll tell you what I know. I am sure there are people living in the area who will be able to give you more detailed info but here's a little summary. Been over to visit my son in Sunshine Coast 3 times and hoping to head out myself next year. My son has lived in Buddina and currently in Mooloolaba, both close to Caloundra. I like Caloundra (haven't been to the other 2 places you've named). Got a golf course, lovely beaches, park areas - Kings Beach is nice. There can be quite a few jelly fish depending on time of year but as long as you swim in the designated areas it should be ok.

Caloundra (and whole of the Sunshine Coast) is a very popular holiday resort. If I remember rightly there's a market and there are shops within the area. For shopping centres try Kawana Waters and the larger Maroochydore shopping centre - both just a few miles away - you can spend all day there!

You are also close to Underwater World which is another great day out. You can even swim with sharks if you're so inclined! Not too far from Australia Zoo - the children will love it.

I'm so jealous as you will be there before me - I've got to wait on a Contributory Parent Visa which will be next year at least!

Hello,

We travelled to brisbane earlier this year and had our heart set on the sunshine coast it really is a lovely area,but we decided it would be to quiet for us the beaches are beautiful but thought it would suit us better to visit at the weekend brisbane city is also beautiful with lots going of and the sunshine coast is easily reached also gold coast only takes about an hour.

We still dont know where is right for us but it will be no more than 20km from the city we also have 2 kids 7 and 2 but also we have a 17 yearold and the sunshine coast would make it very hard for her to settle.When you get out there you will find how your spoilt for choice there are lots of great areas,just giving you an insight of our experiances dont let it put you of the sunshine coast it is beautiful

Guest ameliaandpeter

Hi,

We have visited Caloundra and Pelican Waters this year, when we activated visa. Loved both though Pelican I thought was abit on the pricey side. We are hoping to move that way this year, also considering suburbs around Brisbane. This will depend on OH job he is a plumber.

Good Luck

when do you think you might be out there?

Amelia

Guest Sharon1

Hi Sarah,we are up the road from Caloundra. There are plenty off parks for the kids. Bulcock Street at Caloundra is great for shopping and Stocklands is nearby(like a shopping mall) and then there's Kawana and Maroochydore a car ride away. People do swim in the sea all year but for me it's not warm enough, it's ok for a paddle.My kids go to the Golden Beach State School which is a good school and they have both settled in well. Brisbane is about 1 1/4 awayand so it's not too far. If there's any-thing I can help you with let me know. Sharon.

Guest KirstyM

Hello Sarah,

My other half and I have moved to the Sunny Coast in the last few months, and I think it will appeal to you. There's a lot of development going on here, so I can't see there being any bother with building trade jobs.

Shopping is fantastic with the Sunshine Plaza (Maroochydore) being huge already and due for an extension. It's one of the most gorgeous shopping centres I've ever been in, sitting on the river with lots of alfresco eating outside, big cinema etc.

Schools I'm not so hot on, but I think they are pretty good up here. We just bought in Buderim and made sure we were in the Mountain Creek school zone so our kids can go there. Apparently that's the school everyone wants their kiddies to get into around here.

We bought in Buderim because we felt other areas were a tad too built up (and Buderim is cooler in the hot QLD summer as its set high up). We did see a lot of nice houses in the areas you are talking about, and Caloundra / Kawana Waters area is totally heaving with shopping options. Our favourite shop up that way is "Trade Secret" where you can buy designer gear at up to 70% discount.

Please do shout if you need any more info and good luck with planning your move! :spinny:

Guest SEFFnSARAH

Thank you all for your replies so far. The more we read about the area the more we think it is just what we are looking for - kids are still very young so doesn't need to be to lively and we don't want it too quiet as we need to hopefully meet people and make friends. I am getting really exited and emotional reading all about it (how sad is that??!!! God knows what I will be like when the time finally arrives to move! I think its all taking sooooooooo long that this is the only snippets of hope I am getting at the moment to keep me positive.)

Hopefully these won't be the only replies we get and I can keep dreaming.

Sarah

PS Lizg - mum is in the same boat as you awaiting her CP visa. She applied early this year and we are hoping that with the additional allocation she may be in the 09-10 lot issued. She had decided not to wait around and will make the move with us hopefully towards the end of this year very early next. She will go out on a 12 month visitor visa and renew it offshore if the need arises.

Guest the ropers

hi sarah

this is our first post so hi to everyone ! we are hoping to move to one of the areas you have mentioned , as i have a job in currimundi starting in sept. ( visa pending). We have children the same age as yours so if you do end up moving there maybe we could meet up?

ali

Guest SEFFnSARAH

Hi Ali

That sounds great. You will have to let us know where you end up as it sounds as if you will be there long before us. You can keep us posted and give us the low down on the best and worst areas first hand!!

Whereabouts in Norfolk are you? We have a family caravan in Hunstanton and will be down there in August time. If you aren't too far away perhaps we could meet up close to you and compare notes (if you haven't already gone that is)

Sarah

Guest SEFFnSARAH

Hi Ali

That sounds great. If you are out there before us you can give us the low down on the best and worst areas to go to (what am I talking about - if? We sent our application nearly 4 months ago and haven't even had an acknowledgement yet!), but we are still hoping to be out there before the end of the year. What is your line of work?

Whereabouts in Norfolk are you? We are going to a family caravan in Hunstanton in August. You will probably be in panic mode by then, but if you aren't too far away perhaps we could meet up and compare notes...?

Sarah

Guest the ropers

hi

we are renting in Buxton (near Aylsham) as we sold our house in April . we are waiting to apply for a 457 temp visa and then hope to convert to PR or apply once there. hopefully it will all come through by august. i will be working and olly is going to try his hand at being a househusband for a few months!

we hope to leave norfolk on aug 15th all being well.

feel free to send a PM and we can try and organise a meet up either here or on the sunshine coast!

ali

Hi Sarah,

My name is Julie, married and have 1 sweet little boy aged 41/2. We have just returned from the Sunshine Coast, we have been to register our visas.136 skilled visas.

We have had a good look round at the areas and we really like an area called Buderim, there is an internet site The Buderim Web Site, now this area is absolutely lovely, it is build on a hill about 5 mins drive to Caloundra and Mooloolaba, both are beautiful . Buderim is very picturesque, we went to the 2 local schools to have a look, and Mountain Creek State Primary School is supposed to be one of the best on the Sunshine Coast, all around the Buderim area seems to be upmarket and lots of national parks, with waterfalls etc, there are playgrounds especially, in Caloundra , Kings Beach has a really nice on. We also liked Pelican Waters, again this has a very good school, we were put off by this as we got told by the sales office it could be prone to flooding so we ruled that area out.

Around Caloundra there are loads of shops, also you have got Kawana about a 10 minute drive, they have a huge shopping mall I got told.

Whilst we were there the weather was dry for 2 days then the heavens opened, it rained very heavy for about 4 days, all the roads were flooded, but it was still wars about 21degrees.

We stayed in Caloundra for just a week, then we moved up to Noosa, well what can one say that area is simply stunning, Noosa, Noosaville, Noosa Heads , Tewantin areas. This area is just so breathtaking beautiful, check it out on the web, Noosa. I would say Noosa is a little quiter than Caloundra. We saw one snake when we went to Emmundi Market, it was on the childrens play area, it turned out to be non venemous, it had come up from a little strea. This has definately not put me off.

The areas my husband is looking for work is Buderim and the Noosa area.He is a Air Conditioning /Refrigeration Manager.

At the moment I know 3 other families who live in Chorley who are funnily enough think Buderim is beautiful.

If you need to contact me let me know and I will forward me out tel number. Hope this information helps.

Julie

Guest KirstyM

Julie - Buderim is indeed Beautiful. But then I've just bought there, so I am of course Biased!

We originally were looking at Noosa / Tewantin, but then we drove thru Buderim on our way home one day and were like "wow. Check this place."

Good luck with the move!

Archived