Medicals in the morning and doggy advice please x

ukclarkes

Omg I am so excited this is the last stage of our visa process! After this it is then just the waiting game :wub:

Any advise on shipping my puppy? He is 12 weeks old micro chipped and up to date with all his jabs?

You might thinking Why did this women buy a puppy this close to getting the visa?!!!

Well had a melt down a few week ago and I decided that was it I couldn't put my life on hold no longer for Oz, so I was staying in England!! Yes I know stupid but it happened so I am wanting him to live with us! I know the price is super high but he is part of the family now :)

Yes, that was my first thought re the pup. If your visa was lodged and going to happen it does seem strange to get a pup now rather than once you are settled in Aus and have time for one and all it entails. Also consider landlords and other things when you get to the Aus side and how much time you'll realistically have to help settle it in and be around for it.

Is your visa close to grant? If so I'd consult with your vet as to what age a pup can have the rabies jab and go from there.

I'd contact the pet shippers about your pup and see what they say as he'll of course grow in the meantime so crating wise what he might fit now he won't in 3 or 6 months IYKWIM. What breed is he? You should have a good idea of eventual size if you know the breed. If its a cross between small and large then its a waiting game usually to see how big they end up growing, even litter mates can be different sizes.

I'd also ensure you are training him properly and are getting him used to being crated from a young age for the trip. A pup is going to find 24 hours plus in a small crate hard going as they have energy and being confined for so long might see them chew at a crate and possibly get injured or some such. Discuss with the pet shippers. I'm sure lots of young dogs get shipped but its good to prepare yourselves and the pup for what is to come rather than putting him in a crate at the last minute and hoping for the best. If he is used to a crate and being in it and so on it will be so much better.

My final suggestion is to consider asking the breeder to have the pup back and rehome while still young (reputable breeders are usually fine doing this and will take a pup of theirs back). The pup will imprint very quickly on a new owner and it may be a good option for all parties to do this. Atm its your own wants driving this but depending on the pup it may be better to hand him back. The other side of the coin is its more change on a young dog, but then so is shipping it the other side of the world to a new home, quarantine and so on while its young and you are adjusting to your new life also. There are pros and cons on both sides.

Omg I am so excited this is the last stage of our visa process! After this it is then just the waiting game :wub:

Any advise on shipping my puppy? He is 12 weeks old micro chipped and up to date with all his jabs?

You might thinking Why did this women buy a puppy this close to getting the visa?!!!

Well had a melt down a few week ago and I decided that was it I couldn't put my life on hold no longer for Oz, so I was staying in England!! Yes I know stupid but it happened so I am wanting him to live with us! I know the price is super high but he is part of the family now :)

He needs to have Rabies jabs and there is an age limit ? Then he can't travel until 180 days after the RNNAT - blood test for rabies

Look on the AQUIS site for full details it's not an easy excercise to take a dog to Oz and it's not a pet passport you need it's totally different

Guest Priscilla101

All animals now go through mickleham in Melbourne. Great if that's where you're settling, really bad and another flight or LONG drive if you're not.

Dogs need a few vaccines to get in. And these are costly (think my vet said dogs are about £500 for vaccines. My cat was £120 for rabies and bloods) with him being young you may have to wait longer. But, there is no time limit on how long before they grant your visa. You need to speak to an "Official registered Vet" - the receptionist will tell you anyone can. But get them to check. It's easier to deal with one person who knows what they're doing. Start the rabies now as it takes the longest.

You can use a pet shipper. Or do it yourself (I did) get import and export certificates. Vet to sign off. And contact an airline (I used Emirates as a friend recommended them)

consider where you you are going to live. Quarantine is 10 days this side. And getting a rental is hard to do in that time. You have to inspect the property (pics on the net are photoshopped) and not all landlords agree to animals. I had a close call. Picked the cat at 10 got keys at 11.

Archived