Residence Requirement for Australian Citizenship!!!

henryolonga

Hello to all,

With regards to residence requirement for Australian Citizenship, I read the following statements online:

a person is required to have been lawfully present in Australia for four years and in Australia as a permanent resident for at least 12 months prior to applying for citizenship. During the four year period, a person can be absent from Australia for up to 12 months in total. During the 12 months immediately prior to lodging a citizenship application, a person can be absent from Australia for no more than three months.

I am a bit worried about how long do I need to wait in order to lodge my application of Australian Citizenship based on frequent travel outside Australia due to health and other family issues as below:

Note: I came to Australia in January 2009 and throughout my stay in Australia, I was on a student visa.

Time Period Outside Australia

December 2011 to January 2012 (2 months)

19 October 2012 to 06 January 2013 (2.5 months)

07 October 2013 to 05 January 2014 (3 months)

14 September 2015 to 30 January 2016 (4.5 months)

28 May 2016 to 27 June 2016 (1 month)

After 27 June 2016, I was granted a bridging visa B (i.e. "It became active")

Since the above highlighted months make a total of 11 months outside Australia, I may have chance I guess (Please correct me if I am wrong).I was on a bridging visa B from 27 June 2016 till grant of permanent residence (i.e. "July 2016") (outside Australia)

Do I have a chance to qualify for Australian Citizenship within 1 year after validating my visa in October 2016? (i.e. Provided I do not stay overseas for more than 3 months between October 2016 till October 2017).

Does the time period between grant and validation counts as outside Australia for residence requirement purpose ?

I hope the above clarifies my question to you.

I would be grateful for your valuable comments in this case.

Bundles of thanks in advance,

Regards,

Henry

Edited by henryolonga

Does the time period between grant and validation counts as outside Australia for residence requirement purpose ?

As I assume you were outside Australia, then yes it counts as time outside Australia. It's a very straight-forward calculation - on the date you plan to apply for citizenship, look back over the past 4 years and make sure you weren't outside Australia for more than 12 months including no more than 90 days in the most recent year.

As I assume you were outside Australia, then yes it counts as time outside Australia. It's a very straight-forward calculation - on the date you plan to apply for citizenship, look back over the past 4 years and make sure you weren't outside Australia for more than 12 months including no more than 90 days in the most recent year.

thanks MaggieMay24

Regards,

Henry