best ways to get accommodation for a large family

Michael Noone

Hi all,

we will be moving to Melbourne in the next three months with our four young children and wanted to know if anyone could give us some advice on the best way to secure accommodation before we go, should we try and secure a rental from England or would it be better to get temporary accommodation and then view properties when we're there?

any advice would be greatly appreciated

Hiya, I've seen that rentals are for 6 months max, would you recommend getting a BnB or holiday let when we first arrive? we've looked at some hotels and holiday let prices and they were quoting two grand plus on prices, i have four children under 5 years old so i wanted to find the least disruptive and most cost effective way of securing temporary accommodation when we first arrive and then hopefully securing a longer term rental.

As you are looking to go to Torquay I would approach one of the several local real estate agents about your needs. They also let out holiday lets in the area and may be able to get you a longer term deal on one. As Torquay is a holiday town there is a lot of rental accommodation around before it is all booked for December/ January. If you google real estate agents Torquay you should get at least 3 to contact. They are usually helpful people.

.... should we try and secure a rental from England or would it be better to get temporary accommodation and then view properties when we're there?

Most real estate agents in Australia require prospective tenants to inspect a property personally before signing the contract to rent it.

Also, it is advisable to do it that way: photos and details on internet real estate sites can be very misleading...and the reality much less desireable than the images. So having temporary accommodation when you first arrive will give you time to find something suitable for the longer term.

Archived