Thoughts on returning from a 6 week holiday in the UK....anyone interested???

wattsy1982

in oz yes, in the uk it feels to hot, funny also how the cold in oz at the same temp as the uk feels so much colder, I have never felt as cold to the bone as I have in perth in the winter.

Agreed, we are perished here at 15oC! I was in shorts in 18oC in the UK last month!

It's 12C here in Devonport and don't feel cold until I'm out near the ocean where the wind is quite ferocious today. I'm cosy in the house but I'll certainly be wrapping up when I go outside. Definitely not shorts wearing weather though I have seen a few hardy souls in them lately. :elvis:

Hi,

Not sure if this is the right section to post this, so please move appropriately if not.

So for those of you who dont know me/our situation we (me, wife and 2 young boys) moved here (gold coast) in July 2013 on PR visas and have done well since we arrived, both gained full time jobs, kids sorted in kindy and school etc and we built our own house, moved in in March 2016.

During most of this time I have been homesick and wanting to return but keen to get citizenship for the kids so kept myself busy with work and the house build etc. My wife has been fairly settled form the off.

We have just got back from a 6 week holiday home, our first time back since we left over 3 years ago.

It was great to see family, immediate family, parents/grandparents, siblings etc. The kids made/rekindled relationships with aunts, uncles, grandparents, cousins etc and the weather was GREAT, hit 30oC on some occasions and only rained 1 afternoon in 6 weeks...and we were already at an indoor play area so it didnt matter! The late summers evenings were wonderful, could do so much more, especially once the kids had gone to bed!

My thoughts/findings on the UK;

• Roads narrower and much poorer condition.

• Traffic about the same as here on the Gold Coast, except in London.....thats just another thing altogether.

• Even with the above said it was much better/nicer to drive in the UK, not as many terrible drivers in their loud V8 cars or motorbikes that sound like they are ready for the scrap yard!

• The economy seems to be in a good, if not rising state and we arrived on the day the brexit was announced and most I spoke to were happy with the decision and upbeat about what lay ahead.

• Food, drink and dining out very reasonable and the selection of ANYTHING in the supermarket was much superior than here in QLD

• The greenness and old buildings etc was great, we saw things we never even noticed before.

• Was great to catch up with mates, but some 'mates' didnt even make an effort to catch up in the whole 6 weeks so i saw them in a different light, as too my wifes sister who got married whilst we were there and was the bridezilla from hell which upset my wife on may occasions and kind of tainted a week of the holiday on the run up to the wedding.

• We had a break to europe (france) which was great, an only just over 1 hr flight....the different culture etc was a real treat, not a chicken parmy or pokie in sight!

• The pub culture was great, watching the football in the pub and a beer garden on a summers evening takes some beating.

• The kids loved rambling in the long grass etc without the fear of snakes etc

• My mates are all doing 'ok' with their own houses, jobs, cars, holidays etc but maybe aus has changed me/my expectations as i kept thinking I couldn't be content with what they had (materialistic i know) but from what I felt, most just seemed to be happy to plod along and kind of accept that thats the best they can/will do where as in Aus even I feel that anything is possible and the strive to do/achieve/have better is the norm.

• This said though, most of my mates have a nicer car than me.....and it was cheaper too! Not important, just an observation.

• It was great catching up with family but at times it got a bit much and i had a few times where I thought at least we don't have these hassles in Aus....but overall it was nice to see them!

Pre-holiday my wife was worried she wasnt going to be able to get me on the plane back here but I was more than happy to come back, in fact it was my wife who was wobbly and wasn't keen to come back...!

Im not saying im 'cured' but I do think that the holiday has given me the fix of home and family etc that I needed and for the next year (until citizenship) I am happy with being here. This may wear off, who knows.

We are very happy to be back in our own house, own space, own car and not living out of a suitcase and the fear of suffocating under carpets and curtains in my parents house is slowly passing!

All in all a great trip, the UK more than lived up to what we hoped but it has made me see what we have here in a different light and happy to enjoy it for as long as it lasts, be it a year or longer. Its especially made me appreciate friends here more, before we went back I was a bit wishy washy with them and kept comparing them with mates back home when really, they are good blokes.

Thanks for tuning in.

Love to hear your thoughts/own findings.

Dan

Thank you for taking the time to post. I enjoyed reading your thoughts and could certainly relate to some of them. Will be interesting to see what happens next for you.

Archived