driving license change

geebee8

We got our invite on the 20th and while getting paper work ready i had a thought about my eldest daughters driving.

She is taking lessons, pasted her theory test already. Now i have read that you can drive on your uk licence for 3 months but is fairly easy to get it changed over.

So can she just change it over or do you need a number of years experience on your licence since passing your test? We are hoping to go middle new year.

Is she wasting her money still driving here if she cant drive over there because she not had her license long??

Thanks.

We got our invite on the 20th and while getting paper work ready i had a thought about my eldest daughters driving.

She is taking lessons, pasted her theory test already. Now i have read that you can drive on your uk licence for 3 months but is fairly easy to get it changed over.

So can she just change it over or do you need a number of years experience on your licence since passing your test? We are hoping to go middle new year.

Is she wasting her money still driving here if she cant drive over there because she not had her license long??

Thanks.

hi

anyone can drive on overseas licence in oz for 3 months in NSW and 6 months in VIC after getting permanent visa. and its different for different states.

but if you are from UK you can convert it into Australian licence and you dnt need to sit in the drive test. but must have to give computer based test to make sure that u know all the rules and laws to drive in oz. and you will be given equivalent licence.

e.g if you hold overseas licence for more than 3 year you will be given full licence. otherwise learner for less than 1 year,P1 for 2 year P2 for less than 3 year experience.

the following policy is for Victorian licence:-

if you hold a permanent visa (issued under the Migration Act 1958) you may drive on your overseas driver licence if it's written in English or accompanied by an English translation or international driving permit for:

• 6 months from the date you first entered Australia (if the permanent visa was issued before you entered Australia), or

• 6 months from the date when the permanent visa was issued (if the permanent visa was issued to you while in Australia).

• hope this helps

Edited by Simran Brar

I moved to qld having only had uk lisence for one week...was easy process to transfer straight into full qld lisence..just a form to fill in pay a fee...no tests...I'm glad I passed before I came as the process here for passing is lengthy and weird lol when I came back to Victoria with uk Licence it was same thing...they weren't interested how long I had held it

Thank you for your replies

When did you move to qld xxlornaxx?? Could the rules have changed??

From Simran Brar reply and i may have read it wrong, it sounds like she would have to be transfered back to a learner if she has not been past for a year when we move out there, which would mean more costs for test and lesson= double including what she would have paid here.

We do tests very differently in uk and once you pass in uk you are considered able to drive with no further tests needed in Aus...I moved in 2013..the rules haven't changed..she could display green P plates I guess if your determined that it has to be different but she wouldn't need to take a test or anything...she def wouldn't go back to Ls as she will have already passed practical test

This was on qld government webpage:

If you are applying for a Queensland provisional or open car or motorcycle licence, you won't have to pass a written road rules test or a practical driving test if you hold, or have held within the last 5 years, a driver licence (other than a learner licence), that corresponds to a class C, RE or R licence granted from these countries.

you need 100 points in most AU states. points: combination of proof of identity and residence. Not all international licenses will transfer directly, you need to check each states website for more info.

This was on qld government webpage:

If you are applying for a Queensland provisional or open car or motorcycle licence, you won't have to pass a written road rules test or a practical driving test if you hold, or have held within the last 5 years, a driver licence (other than a learner licence), that corresponds to a class C, RE or R licence granted from these countries.