Dependent child on visa 143

Tien Duong

Hi everyone. I really need your advice now. I am a dependant child just turned 24 and included with my parents in our 143 contributory parents visa lodged on 23rd June 2014. I have been in Australia for 10 years under student visa. From the date of lodgement, I have begun taking my 2 years master course, which would have finished in June 2016. I am aware that I have to be fully dependant on my parents and being a full time student at all times till granted the visa. My course is a 2 year course, which has 4 semesters with 3 subjects each.

I have been enrolling in three subjects for the first three semester. However, I failed one of the subject, which would lead to the case that I will have 4 subjects in my fourth semester, which is too much for a master student according to my unit coordinator. Thats the reason why they allowed me to do 2 subjects in my fourth semester and doing last two in an additional fifth semester, which would result in me having to apply for the extension of my student visa,which is not a big deal at all. My student visas will expire on 15th September 2016, based on the assumptions that we would have been granted our visa in June 2016, two years from lodgement date.

However, as we all knew that the department has been delaying the progress, which I believe would at least take us another 2 or 3 months. I am just afraid that when being assessed, the case officer would see that I have been doing two subjects in my fourth and fifth semester, which cant be considered as a full time student. I have been engaging with my university and they said that I am always a full time student at their university, they can provide me an enrolment letter saying I have been and currently a full time student even though I am only doing two subjects in the last two semesters, as there are only 12 subjects in my degree.

My questions are: Will the case officer be getting really tough on these type of matters? Can I just get the enrolment letter certified and provided by the university to send it to them if needed? or the worst case is I have to find a way to do another subject this semester?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Where are your parents?

Hi Thanks for your reply.

My parents are in Australia most of the time during the past 5,6 years in their tourist visa coz we have got our sister babies here. I have been in the country for 11 years since high school as well

• 1 year later...

Hello 

I am new to this forum . I applied for my sister as a dependent (24 years now) together with my mother on visa 173 . A case officer allocated and asked us to fill dependency questionnaire. Has some did this plzzz help 

Edited by Agam