can you visit in quarantine?

Victoria Anne Lightbown

We are still very much in the planning stages. We have A LOT of dogs and sadly we know that we cant take them all with us due to some not being able to make the journey and because its unlike;y we will find somewhere to live with so many. So we are trying to do whats best for each dog. One thing that we realised is that the quarantine period will be the bit that affects some of them. Is it possible to visit them in quarantine? What actually happens in quarantine, are they walked / handled or in kennels and just fed? So much to think about.

Thanks

Hey!

The new quarantine means that they are now only in for 10 days minimum. During those 10 days there is no visiting, but after that ( if they are kept in) then you can discuss it with the manager.

It took me a while to find this info when I needed it so thought I'd post it for you :)

http://www.agriculture.gov.au/cats-dogs/quarantine-facilities-and-fees/post-entry-quarantine-facilities#visiting-and-exercise

During the 10 day stay, no you can't visit.

I don't think this is a bad thing tbh. In many ways it would be more distressing for your dog to see you there, get all excited then and have you walk away again.

You need to plan this as it is very expensive even for 1 dog and then you need to consider the differences in Australia. First, most councils will not allow more than 2 dogs. Also, there are a number of different rules and cultural differences

There is no visiting allowed in quarantine but our boy scrubbed up well when we got him out He is a shar pei and they are prone to stress but he seemed to have handled things ok He was thin and his coat not right but in a week it was back to normal We are in s rural area where we can have 3 dogs Our boy loves it but he keeps trying to catch the Roo's he's quick but not that quick !

Hi,

We have 3 Golden Retrievers that we bought over in April and found that quarantine looked after them all very well, we are in Queensland on the Sunshine Coast and you are allowed a 3rd dogs providing you register them and you have 30square meters or more of yard for them to exercise (information from Sunshine Coast Council)

We had our dogs transferred by air from Melbourne to Brisbane then collected them.

Good Luck with your move

Hi, no you can't visit, although I do know someone who is a breeder / champion show dogs owner who uses quarantine quite frequently, and they allow her to visit hers. That however is a very rare exception. They don't let the normal owners such as ourselves go to visit.

My my two dogs just came out of quarantine on Friday and I don't want to think about what it must have been like for them. My vet requested they share a kennel as one is very nervous, I have no idea if this was allowed as they have not returned my calls or emails!

They came out skin and bone. They are small dogs, one was 6.6kg and one was 8kg. I took them to our local vet for registering and a general check. The smaller of the two was a mere 5.6kg with an ear infection and the other was 6.5kg.

I have written a letter of complaint about how two such small dogs can lose over 20% of their body weight in ten days and nothing be done about it. Or that medical care was not given to my girl who is 9 and had an ear infection. Which she certainly didn't have when she went in.

I wouldnt be be without them though, they love their walks but are still a bit subdued in the house. Although that may just be getting used to their new surroundings.

Archived