English test needed for British mother tongue speaker to boost points ? (189)

Dan Mika

Hi All,

Apologies if this has been queried before, but I would like to know if I should do an English test to show I have a level of English above the minimum level of 'competent'. I am British/English so competent is assumed and sufficient for my visa. However, I would like to boost my chances so I think this might be the best thing to do. I am applying for a skilled visa 189 as Chartered Accountant/Auditor, so there may be some competition in this category of visa.

I would also be interested to know which is the quickest and easiest method to do a test and if online is possible.

Many thanks

Daniel

Hi All,

Apologies if this has been queried before, but I would like to know if I should do an English test to show I have a level of English above the minimum level of 'competent'. I am British/English so competent is assumed and sufficient for my visa. However, I would like to boost my chances so I think this might be the best thing to do. I am applying for a skilled visa 189 as Chartered Accountant/Auditor, so there may be some competition in this category of visa.

I would also be interested to know which is the quickest and easiest method to do a test and if online is possible.

Many thanks

Daniel

Doing a PTE test is a good way of boosting your points, consists of speaking, writing, listening and reading tests. I was in the same position. A bit of revising and it's easy enough to pass. If you can score above an average of 80 you'll get superior English which equates to 20 points for your EOI. Google test centre locations, I ended up doing mine at the same place I did my driving theory test.

I'm not sure they do an online test, how would they police who is doing the test? When I sat the IELTS test it was a very strict security system, you had to take your passport and they scanned your finger prints so that if you failed then you couldn't get a substitute to sit it for you.

Id say go for it though, I needed to sit it to get the extra points due to my age. Whilst it wasn't easy by any stretch of the imagination, I got the full 20 points on the first go. There are plenty of online resources to practice it and the extra points will certainly help you get an invite.

Yep, I did this for my 189 visa (latter-half of 2015). I'm a native English speaker and took the PTE test as it was all done at a computer (at an examination centre), so required no handwriting (mine is pretty terrible, and I was concerned about my hand cramping up if I had to write for an extended period of time).

It took me about two hours to get through the test, and I found it pretty exhausting! I had a sufficient score to add 20 points to my application. I was glad that I had spent a few hours preparing for the test in the week beforehand, using the free materials available on the PTE website.

May I ask at which stage of the 189 process that the (IELTS) test comes into things? Is it when you submit your EOI or not until you are invited and begin the visa application? I suppose you would want to know in advance of submitting the EOI what score you got before allocating yourself a certain point score?

Also can anyone recommend which is the better option out of the IELTS or PTE? Can you do them more than once if you don't get the results you hoped for?

The English test is needed when you start the visa application and yes, you can do it multiple times (but you have to pay each time...).

I took the PTE test because it is all computer-based (at an examination centre). My understanding is that the IELTS test features a lot of handwriting, and I was concerned that my hand might cramp up! It's been a few years since I had to do much handwriting...

Hope that helps.

You find out your score within 2 weeks and you need above 7 for proficient, above 8 for superior, which both equate to more points than the basic level, which gets 0 points. If you are English, Canadian etc, you are assumed to have the basic level. Choosing to take the test is simply to boost points and differentiate from others who speak less well. I am going for the IELTS but only because PTE is not offered where I am living (I would need to go to another country), PTE sounds the best way if possible, simply for convenience/ease of doing everything on the computer.

• 3 months later...

Just to follow up on this thread: I got L:8 R:9 W:8 S:9 so 8.5 overall. Thats superior and maximum points. Personally I would say the listening is easy if you can maintain concentration, I lapsed for a second and lost a few marks. Speaking is easy and reading also, but needs a bit of practise. Writing, not the easiest, some practise also needed to sharpen up for most I'd say. Good luck.

Archived