Brain ache,please help with move to Brisbane.,

Judan

Hi,my husband,9 year old son and myself are moving over to Brisbane in the next couple of months on a 457 visa. As temporary residents we will be renting(and keeping hold of our uk property), but if things work out we would be hoping to buy in a couple of years. Therefore our aim is to rent in an area we could potentially afford to buy in,and be happy to settle in....rather than rent for 2 years in an area we would then have to move away from and unsettle our son from new friends.

Basically we are looking for a home west or north west suburbs of Brisbane, house price of $500k-$600k for when/if we buy, ideally on train line to CBD in an area with good state school( initially primary,then secondary in 2018).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,I have brain ache from trawling the Internet.

I would have a look around Springfield lakes, ,Brookwater , even a bit further out you have Ripley and south Ripley. Springfield lakes has train station and plenty of good schools around these areas. These areas have nice housing and everything is in your reaches. Your budget should get you somewhere nice in these areas. It's a way out from cbd , close to Goodna though

Hi Keith and Linda, my husband will a regular work client at Goodna and CBD......but has said he is flexible. Thank you for your response.

I am currently working out Goodna way, but live on the bayside, at the times of day I travel it is about a 45min run in the morning and maybe up to 60min at the end of the day, there are tolls involved though (company pays mine) there are ways around but then you run the risk of longer commute times. Springfield is currently the largest master planned city in Aus and would be only some 15min or less to Goodna, and some 30min to Brisbane City, also there are two train stations in Springfield which is a relatively new line. there are growing suburbs around Springfield too such as Bellbird park, Brookwater and Riply.

Good luck

Hi,my husband,9 year old son and myself are moving over to Brisbane in the next couple of months on a 457 visa. As temporary residents we will be renting(and keeping hold of our uk property), but if things work out we would be hoping to buy in a couple of years. Therefore our aim is to rent in an area we could potentially afford to buy in,and be happy to settle in....rather than rent for 2 years in an area we would then have to move away from and unsettle our son from new friends.

Basically we are looking for a home west or north west suburbs of Brisbane, house price of $500k-$600k for when/if we buy, ideally on train line to CBD in an area with good state school( initially primary,then secondary in 2018).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,I have brain ache from trawling the Internet.

Is the employer going to help with getting a rental because we found trying to get somewhere when we went in 05 that people required a bank account and a whole raft of other references before they would even accept an application from us, we found driving around places was the best way to get a feel for things and we stayed in a holiday let for 4 weeks before we got somewhere and that was fast and only possible because a landlord was there when we viewed and took a real shine to us because he saw our bank reference.

I used to do Arana Hills to Goodna driving in about an hour back in 05/06 and the train into town was good and took about 30mins, Arana Hills was pleasant and pretty peaceful and close enough to Chermside which is the main shopping center for N Brisbane, their is another main Westfield on the South side which being close to makes life more varied and cosmopolitan.

One thing you need to look at is the size of block that houses are on, many newer houses are on very small blocks which means you have virtually no garden, there are lots of 1960's/70's suburbs which were state /council housing areas and been sold off over the years which Goodna is, but the areas still have a number of state tenants still within them, Goodna and a couple of adjoining suburbs are some of the remaining state housing areas, nothing to be worried about, I worked there organising repairs and after Deptford and Peckham it was perfectly civilised.

I'm not suggesting Arana but if you look at the properties there I think that gives you a possible bench mark against which to judge others.

Schooling used to be State controlled so apart from obvious socio - economic indicators there used to be far less obsession than here with elitism which used to be one of the biggest pluses of Australia.

Hi BacktoDemocracy, we too aim to go over into a holiday rental first and drive around. I have added Arana Hills to my search list for this evening. Think the employer is leaving it up to us,still a lot to discuss with them. Thanks for your time,very much appreciated.

Hi BacktoDemocracy, we too aim to go over into a holiday rental first and drive around. I have added Arana Hills to my search list for this evening. Think the employer is leaving it up to us,still a lot to discuss with them. Thanks for your time,very much appreciated.

I don't know whether the Real Estate Institute of Queensland has a Web page telling you the requirements for a rental agreement, they control letting agents in Qland and set requirements for tenants and agents.

Springfield is all new build and very glitzy but you have to think all the time in Oz about access to things which you take for granted here like a variety of shops , a variety of eating and drinking places and what they are like, how close are you to things that your kids want to do and that you want to do , how close and easy to get to are doctors and hospitals, are there kids clubs, scouts, do you just want t do an endless round of barbies or something more intellectual or cultural, are you really someone who wants to be on the beach every weekend even when the temperature is in the upper 20 ' s.

We really liked the look of Arana Hills,only concern is that nearest state primary school in Ferny Hills, or is it usual to have to go out of area? Spoilt at the moment,we live 3 mins walk(brisk pace) from school,yet don't see it from our home.

We really liked the look of Arana Hills,only concern is that nearest state primary school in Ferny Hills, or is it usual to have to go out of area? Spoilt at the moment,we live 3 mins walk(brisk pace) from school,yet don't see it from our home.

Lots of children go on the train with reduced fares, children are expected to fend for themselves far more, far less hysteria about kids being on their own , people do a lot more looking out for kids in public , Ferny Grove is just at the back of the train station, trains are patrolled or they used to be.

When we got there the train stations were really sweet they were wooden huts and the ticket clerk at Grovely used to do his own quiz on a chalkboard outside, he'd give you a mintoe if you got the answer and then they went all high tech with ticket machines and electric gates and galvanised steel walkways.

Archived