457 to 186 (TRT) ravel query

Fern

Hi all

On 2nd September this year I will have been on a 457 visa for two years and my employer (a university) has agreed to support a nomination for the 186 visa under the temporary residence transition stream. My employer plans to submit their nomination in early September (as soon as the two year mark passes), and I understand it can take several months for this to be approved.

Soon after the nomination has been submitted, I had hoped to spend 2-3 weeks in the UK (in late September) before returning to Australia and completing my own part of the 186 application. Is there any issue if I travel overseas while this visa application (either the employer nomination, or my part of the application) is being processed?

I presume that i would continue to hold the 457 visa (rather than a bridging visa) while the 186 is in progress, but the information on the immigration website isn't clear on this.

Thank you in advance for any advice,

Fern

Hi all

On 2nd September this year I will have been on a 457 visa for two years and my employer (a university) has agreed to support a nomination for the 186 visa under the temporary residence transition stream. My employer plans to submit their nomination in early September (as soon as the two year mark passes), and I understand it can take several months for this to be approved.

Soon after the nomination has been submitted, I had hoped to spend 2-3 weeks in the UK (in late September) before returning to Australia and completing my own part of the 186 application. Is there any issue if I travel overseas while this visa application (either the employer nomination, or my part of the application) is being processed?

I presume that i would continue to hold the 457 visa (rather than a bridging visa) while the 186 is in progress, but the information on the immigration website isn't clear on this.

Thank you in advance for any advice,

Fern

Without knowing the expiry of your 457 visa, it is impossible to say whether you would be on this or a bridging visa by the time you travel. However lodging the 186 certainly does not put you into a bridging visa thought there and then.

Archived