Do I need to do Vetassess again??

LJL

Hi all,

wondering if if someone can advise.

I went through the vetassess process when I was issued a skilled visa in 2009. If I were to start the visa process again (original visa has expired and new one needs to include partner and child), would I need to do this part all over again?

Also, can anyone recommend a decent migration agent?

Many thanks

Hi all,

wondering if if someone can advise.

I went through the vetassess process when I was issued a skilled visa in 2009. If I were to start the visa process again (original visa has expired and new one needs to include partner and child), would I need to do this part all over again?

Also, can anyone recommend a decent migration agent?

Many thanks

Skills assessments have a default expiry of three years, unless it has a shorter expiry date from the assessing body. According to the Vetassess website expired skills assessments can be renewed but not pre 2010 ones. so yes you would be doing this again.

Did you ever live in Australia? When did the visa expire? Do you have any ties like family in Australia? It might be worth looking int renewing your visa before you embark on the entire process again. If you did renew the visa, you would apply for a partner visa for your family. It is expensive and slow but more straightfirward than a skills visa.

Skills assessments have a default expiry of three years, unless it has a shorter expiry date from the assessing body. According to the Vetassess website expired skills assessments can be renewed but not pre 2010 ones. so yes you would be doing this again.

Did you ever live in Australia? When did the visa expire? Do you have any ties like family in Australia? It might be worth looking int renewing your visa before you embark on the entire process again. If you did renew the visa, you would apply for a partner visa for your family. It is expensive and slow but more straightfirward than a skills visa.

Hi,

I lived in Brisbane from 2009-2011. I have looked into the RRV but it states 'exceptional circumstances' after a period of 2 years from exp of visa date.

Hi,

I lived in Brisbane from 2009-2011. I have looked into the RRV but it states 'exceptional circumstances' after a period of 2 years from exp of visa date.

Can you be more specific than 2009-2011 as that could be anything from 13 to 36 months and can mean a very dfferent situation!

Also you haven't said when it expired.

Apologies,

May 6th 2009 - August 28th 2011. Exp of visa was 14th March 2014. I have just read the below on the immi website and don't really know if would apply to our circumstances or not? My brother was quite ill while we were in Australia which contributed to the decision for my partner and I to return. The birth of our daughter in Feb 2013 meant that any plan to return was put on hold...........until maybe now.

You might be able to be granted this visa if you:

• have spent a period totalling two years in the last five years in Australia as either an Australian permanent resident or citizen (the 'residence requirement').
  • have not spent two of the last five years in Australia as a permanent resident or citizen, but can satisfy the processing officer that you have substantial business, cultural, employment or personal ties of benefit to Australia, and:
    • are lodging while in Australia and can show compelling reasons for any continuous absence from Australia of more than five years;
    • are lodging while overseas, were a permanent resident or citizen when you last departed Australia and can show compelling reasons for any continuous absence from Australia of more than five years;
    • are lodging while overseas, were a permanent resident or citizen in the last 10 years and can show compelling reasons for absence(s) over five years;

[*]have not spent two of the last five years in Australia as a permanent resident or citizen, but are the partner or dependent family member of a person who holds a subclass 155 visa, or who has also applied for a Resident Return visa and satisfies criteria for grant.

Subclass 157 Resident Return visa

• have lawfully spent at least one day in the past five years in Australia
  • have spent less than two years in the past five years in Australia
  • have been a permanent resident or an Australian citizen for the entire period spent in Australia
  • can show a compelling and compassionate reason for having to leave Australia or, if you are outside Australia, for leaving when you did

If you have been living outside Australia for more than three continuous months immediately before applying, you must also show that you were absent for a compelling and compassionate reason.

Apologies,

May 6th 2009 - August 28th 2011. Exp of visa was 14th March 2014. I have just read the below on the immi website and don't really know if would apply to our circumstances or not? My brother was quite ill while we were in Australia which contributed to the decision for my partner and I to return. The birth of our daughter in Feb 2013 meant that any plan to return was put on hold...........until maybe now.

• have spent a period totalling two years in the last five years in Australia as either an Australian permanent resident or citizen (the 'residence requirement').

• have not spent two of the last five years in Australia as a permanent resident or citizen, but can satisfy the processing officer that you have substantial business, cultural, employment or personal ties of benefit to Australia, and:

• are lodging while in Australia and can show compelling reasons for any continuous absence from Australia of more than five years;

• are lodging while overseas, were a permanent resident or citizen when you last departed Australia and can show compelling reasons for any continuous absence from Australia of more than five years;

• are lodging while overseas, were a permanent resident or citizen in the last 10 years and can show compelling reasons for absence(s) over five years;

[*]have not spent two of the last five years in Australia as a permanent resident or citizen, but are the partner or dependent family member of a person who holds a subclass 155 visa, or who has also applied for a Resident Return visa and satisfies criteria for grant.

Subclass 157 Resident Return visa

• have lawfully spent at least one day in the past five years in Australia

• have spent less than two years in the past five years in Australia

• have been a permanent resident or an Australian citizen for the entire period spent in Australia

• can show a compelling and compassionate reason for having to leave Australia or, if you are outside Australia, for leaving when you did

If you have been living outside Australia for more than three continuous months immediately before applying, you must also show that you were absent for a compelling and compassionate reason.

You have done two years in Australia which means you are entitled to a 5 year RRV. The trouble is it would have been good if you had applied whilst the visa was still current and definitely before you had been absent five years from the country.

If you apply before August, then you are just within the five years and so y do not have to prove a compelling reason for your absence. I would get onto this like today and give it a shot. People have got RRVs when they have been out of the country for twenty years. It is definitely worth a shot.

You have done two years in Australia which means you are entitled to a 5 year RRV. The trouble is it would have been good if you had applied whilst the visa was still current and definitely before you had been absent five years from the country.

If you apply before August, then you are just within the five years and so y do not have to prove a compelling reason for your absence. I would get onto this like today and give it a shot. People have got RRVs when they have been out of the country for twenty years. It is definitely worth a shot.

Unfortunately not. The OP left Oz in Aug 2011. The requirement for an RRV is that you have to have spent 2 of the past 5 years in Oz. not just any 2 years. The past 5 years would be 25 May 2011 to 24 May 2016. In that period the OP has only spent less than three months.

However, OP, all is not lost. You may still be able to obtain a RRV if you can demonstrate compelling and compassionate reasons why you left Australia when you did. The illness of your brother and then the birth of your child may fulfill this.

I would suggest you contact an agent for a consultation about your circumstances and see if they think you can demonstrate compelling and compassionate reasons. The cost of the consultation and the time taken to explore of surely better than going straight to the skilled migration process again. Best of luck!

Unfortunately not. The OP left Oz in Aug 2011. The requirement for an RRV is that you have to have spent 2 of the past 5 years in Oz. not just any 2 years. The past 5 years would be 25 May 2011 to 24 May 2016. In that period the OP has only spent less than three months.

However, OP, all is not lost. You may still be able to obtain a RRV if you can demonstrate compelling and compassionate reasons why you left Australia when you did. The illness of your brother and then the birth of your child may fulfill this.

I would suggest you contact an agent for a consultation about your circumstances and see if they think you can demonstrate compelling and compassionate reasons. The cost of the consultation and the time taken to explore of surely better than going straight to the skilled migration process again. Best of luck!

Will do!

Many thanks for the replies all!

Archived