Getting new passport in married name

alison

Hi,I applied for my partner visa in April a month after I got married and everything is in my maiden name,however I really want to start using my married name.We are travelling to the UK for 3 months next week to sort my things out at home and i would like to get a new passport in my husbands name but im worried it will complicate everything,has anyone got any advise?,would it be better to apply for one from here when we get back?,thanks!

Hi,I applied for my partner visa in April a month after I got married and everything is in my maiden name,however I really want to start using my married name.We are travelling to the UK for 3 months next week to sort my things out at home and i would like to get a new passport in my husbands name but im worried it will complicate everything,has anyone got any advise?,would it be better to apply for one from here when we get back?,thanks!

If You want to start using yur married name, just bite the bullet and change everything in one big hit. You will need to let immigrstion know about the name change sooner or later so might as well do it sooner. From experience, changing name slowly and piecemeal can cause admin headaches for yourself down the line.

Hi,yes thats what i thought too,everything else is fairly straight forward,i guess i need to fill in form 929 change of passport as soon as i get new uk passport,just worried incase they don let me back in!!!

I'd apply for the new passport once you get back to Aus and have time to change everything properly all in one go. You leave in a week and can't arrange a new UK passport before you leave.

Hi,yes thats what i thought too,everything else is fairly straight forward,i guess i need to fill in form 929 change of passport as soon as i get new uk passport,just worried incase they don let me back in!!!

What visa would you be coming back on? You would need to change passport details connected to that visa as well as the partner visa application.

I'd apply for the new passport once you get back to Aus and have time to change everything properly all in one go. You leave in a week and can't arrange a new UK passport before you leave.

She going to the UK for three months, I would have thought easier to get new passport during that time?

Im going over on a 6 months bridging visa B valid till November,its a lot cheaper to do the passport at home rather than here.just dont want to complicate things but i dont think they will have even looked at the application before i get back!!

Im going over on a 6 months bridging visa B valid till November,its a lot cheaper to do the passport at home rather than here.just dont want to complicate things but i dont think they will have even looked at the application before i get back!!

I would definitely do it whilst you are in the UK. And no your application will probably not have even been looked at.

IIRC they charge the same from anywhere now as they all go via the UK.

She going to the UK for three months, I would have thought easier to get new passport during that time?

I don't think its difficult from Aus or UK. Its been really straightforward to get a UK passport while here.

Just the linking visa to new passport aspect. I'd rather do that while safely in Aus than overseas out of caution is all. Occasionally there are issues and I'd not want the hassle.

I would counsel against changing your name on official documentation - you'll spend the rest of your life having to provide proof of name changes etc. And if something bad happens and you want to revert back, you'll need proof of name changes both ways. It's a headache. My wife experiences constant frustrations thanks to names never matching up. It is quite possible to change your name in social and work situations but leave your official name unchanged.

I would counsel against changing your name on official documentation - you'll spend the rest of your life having to provide proof of name changes etc. And if something bad happens and you want to revert back, you'll need proof of name changes both ways. It's a headache. My wife experiences constant frustrations thanks to names never matching up. It is quite possible to change your name in social and work situations but leave your official name unchanged.

Sticking to maiden name is most easy option, but she said she wants to change her name, she might like to have same name as husband and any future children which still do tend to take father's name. I think using different names in different circumstances is most problematic. If she uses married name for work say, but her documents are in maiden name, then she is still going to have to provide proof of change of name.

I found changing some things but not others to be most problematic, wish I had just got it all over and done with at once. Sometimes now I need to produce a marriage certificate, but not ofte and it is no big deal anyway, finding it difficult to understand why your wife has such issues.

I think as long as you produce your marriage cert it should all be straight forward,ive just got my medicare card,drivers license in maiden name but they said just bring along our marriage cert and they will send out new cards in my married name,also bank just wants proof.It seems silly getting married and then keeping your maiden name,if i wasnt going away next week i would change the passport now but i just dont want the worry if anything wrong,i"ll do it all in one hit when i get back.

Wait until you need three marriage certificates, two divorce certificates, a rainbow sheaf of ID in different names for different situations, a brain that is not hardwired for bureaucracy and the organisational skills of a cat.

Archived