RE: Gold Coast

mrbradley1

Hi Everyone,

Me and the family are looking at moving to the Goldcoast (or surrounding area) in November this year. Our visa is already sorted and we have been to the goldcoast before. We have two children 5 and 3 but in all honesty we'd like some help in choosing a location preferable a nice area with reasonable schools. I know that sounds silly but in all honesty we're just not to sure whether there are 'nice areas' or 'run down' areas.

I'm a practising structural engineer. I've applied for jobs here in the UK and never hear anything, so we're going to take a bit of a gamble and just come out and try our luck. Again any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Gareth and Bev

Hi Everyone,

Me and the family are looking at moving to the Goldcoast (or surrounding area) in November this year. Our visa is already sorted and we have been to the goldcoast before. We have two children 5 and 3 but in all honesty we'd like some help in choosing a location preferable a nice area with reasonable schools. I know that sounds silly but in all honesty we're just not to sure whether there are 'nice areas' or 'run down' areas.

I'm a practising structural engineer. I've applied for jobs here in the UK and never hear anything, so we're going to take a bit of a gamble and just come out and try our luck. Again any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Gareth and Bev

On my last visit i searched for the "not so nice" areas and didn't find any....i imagine they exist. Here in Birmingham i could direct you to plenty of such areas.

Anyway, best of luck were moving out to GC in August with no jobs

I know exactly what you mean. We have a few 'not so nice places' in Sheffield. We went to the Gold Coast 2 yrs ago and loved it. Noce area. Nice people. Something totally different than seeing litter just thrown on the floor where I live

G'day Gareth.

Not sure on the school situation, but the suburbs of the northern Gold Coast are pretty family friendly and close to the Broadwater. Try Runaway Bay, Hollywell and Paradise Point. Slightly more affordable are Coomera and Helensvale - this is also where there are train stations on the main Gold Coast- Brisbane train line and are close to the motorway. There's definitely less jobs on the Gold Coast than Brisbane and situating yourself close to good transport links up to Brisbane would help open up more opportunities.

Cheers,

Eddy

Thanks Eddy, I think thats the conclusion we were coming to that most are family friendly. One of my gut feelings was would we be able to get employment in the Goldcoast? maybe like you said maybe situated to good transport. I've probably got a better chance of a Job in Brisbane as a Structural Engineer than the gold coast.

I think you would be better off Northern Gold Coast so you can commute to Brisbane for work if you need to. Its not that easy to get a job on the Gold Coast. My husband tried for 3 years and had to work away before that just to work.

We live in Upper Coomera and to be perfectly honest I wouldnt recommend it. Its not overly bad but isnt all nice either. We are looking to move to Helensvale which is a more established area, reasonable house prices and everything you could possibly want in a central area including activities for kids.

You would be best North Gold Coast for any commute. I have heard lots of people say the Southern End of the Gold Coast is great for families also but you would be looking at a long drive to Brisbane if you needed it.

Also consider schools. If you are looking at public schools then they are based on catchment areas. Its really difficult to get into a state school when you live out of the area. Another reason we are moving to Helensvale. Maybe look on line for the kind of school you would like and then base your house search on that. Unless of course you are going private then there are no catchments.

Gold Coast is a great place for young kids. We have a 4.5 yr old and a 10 week old and moving here was a great decision for us. We are from North West England and our son didnt get to experience playing in the sand or on the grass till we moved when he was 8mths old!

I live on the north Gold Coast and work in South Bank Brisbane.

I drive occasionally as I have allocated parking but most days I get the train. It's super easy and goes every 15 mins. I do this so I can also get work done on the train. In a year and a half I have only had one 20 minute delay. Not quite the same if you drive. It can be fine some mornings but one accident and the tailback can be miles.

Lots of very good reasonably priced private schools on the Gold Coast. At least half of all schools are private and there are many excellent state schools so there is plenty of choice. Hope Island is a great spot but can be pricey if you are on a canal.

Good luck

We moved to South GGC. Renting in robina just now. Kids at Catholic school in burleigh. Friend staying at broadbeach sons school across from the beach

my hubby has started work in Brisbane and leaves home at 710 am to catch train and gets home 7pm. Long day but we chose closer to beaches. I'm glad as had couple of play dates after school at the beach/rock pools south burleigh.

Why not get a holiday let or house for a month if you moving in November. Look at schools and areas to live. Took us a while to find a rental but maybe we're too fussy .

then decide on school and area? Expect to work in Brisbane and if you got GGC it's a bonus but traffic can be busy on Gc too.

Our school is big and busy but kids happy now. And high school on same site.

good luck you're moving when kids are good age. Our kids are 10/8/6. Years 4/3/1. Oldest ought to be in year 5but we kept her at same level as UK as she had only done 4 months of that year at home before we left.

I would research what is best for your job opportunities as this would help you decide north or south of the Gold Coast . South appears more favourable to live as its nearer to the beaches but if you live North it's a lot easier to commute to Brisbane .we live North as my hubby works in Brisbane ( mechanical technician ) and the only area we was told by an estate agent to avoid was Nerang . We have lived in pacific pines since we arrived 3 years ago and can't fault it , north side I know people that live in arundel , maudsland , Helensvale , Coomera , Monterey keys , hope island , Holywell , runaway bay , Labrador , Ashmore , oxenford and Pimpama and all love where they live(all north ) Robina , varsity lakes , mudgeeraba , Currumbin and worangary are south areas extremely popular with expats and are the more desirable areas of the Gold Coast for many . I guess it's down to job circumstance and personal choice in the end . The Gold Coast as a whole is a fab place , so you can't go wrong in any suburb ( except Nerang acc to estate agent ) .im sure all the suburbs have a state primary and Childcare facilities nearby which are equally good but wise to check these out . These may be your decider. Good luck with your journey . Congrats on your visa ..

• 3 weeks later...

Before we moved to GC from NSW I did some research on GC one article summed up GC so well, you can find more culture in a yogurt than in the GC. Having said that the GC is a great place to live work and play.

South GC is much older and had a real Aussie laid back beach surfy vibe, North GC is much newer and still growing fast, loads of family friendly housing estates going up all over at really affordable prices, although there are a lot of established older suburbs that cost a little more. Schools there are good and bad as there are everywhere, are you going for public schools, church schools or private. As your kids are young and don't have to be in school yet I recommend doing some long term holiday lets in a couple of areas so you can get a feel for a suburb and DONT buy rent for at least a year. My kids are teenagers and we all love the GC there is so much for every one to do here.

Archived