30 with six years technology/software sales experience, looking for sponsored jobs in Sydney

Ted Maul

Hey, I'm 30, have around six years experience in technology/software sales, just got my WHV approved (despite a minor blemish on my criminal record) and am heading to Sydney in late 2016, with the intention of securing a job with sponsorship.

My first batch of friends went straight out after university and had a whale of a time around Sydney, surfing and labouring, but many have returned, as they had insufficient work experience to get sponsorship.

While I was a bit gutted I was in rainy England (albeit with some great trips abroad) for my late twenties, I've seen my first few friends who similarly invested in their careers head over to Aus in their late twenties with the required 5+ years work experience and gain sponsorship, so realise my tactic of building my career in England may prove useful.

My girlfriend and I both love the sun, being in the water, fitness and healthy living and find miserable weather particularly upsetting. We'd both like to learn to surf and I already love skating and am pretty strong in a range of boardsports, so Australia has been appealing for some time. My girlfriend loves yoga and I used to train heavily in martial arts, so the idea of sports in the warmth both before and after work is really appealing.

I had a business trip to Perth a couple of months ago - a fortunate coincidence - and tacked on a couple of weeks, heading to Melbourne and Manly, Sydney, to visit friends.

- Loved Perth, great city and the countryside is awesome, but doesn't sound like I'll find a job there easily.

- Melbourne was cool, but surfing each day wasn't an option, the weather wasn't what I am heading to Aus for and there wasn't enough in the way of green spaces for me.

- Sydney was awesome. Loved how chilled Manly was, with direct access to the beach and a really relaxed vibe, with Sydney CBD only a 30-minute commute away and my friends there surf after work.

So, Manly is the place I'd like to move to. I just got my WHV, plan to head out in late 2016 - time to make some plans for a great landing.

I work for a small but market-leading (in its niche) software company providing academic software solutions at present and previously worked for a FTSE100 software company, again in the academic sector. I also have experience in advertising sales.

I've travelled heavily for work, closed deals on 5/7 continents and am an international relations graduate with a keen interest in international affairs, which I would hope is of use to Australian technology companies looking outwardly, to export solutions.

I am open to other sales positions, but my experience so far is heavily in technology/software, which will likely make securing a position and sponsorship in this sector easier.

Only complication at present is I haven't got much in the way of savings, having purchased a flat in Cambridge which I'd like to keep and rent out. I can get £3-4k by selling my car, which will help, but would like to get a job pretty quickly in Sydney.

I plan to give my company three month's notice, which will be to their benefit, but also mine, as I can then openly job-search on LinkedIn and aim to set up interviews before I land.

- Is being Manly-based, so I can easily access the Sydney CBD, a good choice for my industry?

- Is buying a car likely to be required to get/perform a sales job in Sydney?

(Obviously this would be a large expense to factor, at least within the first few months. Clearly it depends on the role and clients, but any experiences/knowledge would be helpful. My last sales job (FTSE100) required daily driving as it was account management, whereas my current sales role is more strategic business development, so I have fewer, but more important meetings and can usually use the train or fly.)

- What's the lifestyle like in technology companies? I like to work hard, but also saw some execs boxing and swimming in the botanical gardens at lunchtime.. is this usual? It's highly appealing!

- Any tips on particular agencies and companies to look for?

Any other suggestions and advice for me to land, find a good job with sponsorship potential and enjoy a good career and enjoyable lifestyle with plenty of sports in Australia for at least several years, would be appreciated.

Thanks

The first thing you need to look at is if you are eligible for sponsorship. Is your occupation on one of the skilled lists known as SOL and CSOL?

Then, you need to consider if this is a permanent move as sponsorship isn't - it is a temporary visa for up to 4 years

The first thing you need to look at is if you are eligible for sponsorship. Is your occupation on one of the skilled lists known as SOL and CSOL?

Then, you need to consider if this is a permanent move as sponsorship isn't - it is a temporary visa for up to 4 years

Looks like 'ICT Sales Representative' is (list updated 2013?)

Hard to say if permanent, but definitely aiming for at least two-three years.. I thought after sponsorship with the same company for two-three years you become eligible for PR, then another year or two and you can apply for a passport? One of my friends is applying for citizenship soon.

Looks like 'ICT Sales Representative' is (list updated 2013?)

Hard to say if permanent, but definitely aiming for at least two-three years.. I thought after sponsorship with the same company for two-three years you become eligible for PR, then another year or two and you can apply for a passport? One of my friends is applying for citizenship soon.

No, it doesn't work like that - there are two types of sponsorship, one is a 457 visa which is what most people mean when they say employer sponsorship, that can last for up to four years but can never be permanent and the other is an ENS visa and this is permanent. You do not need to have ever worked for the employer for them to nominate you for a 186 visa but a lot of employers will only do it after you have worked for them for a period of time thus it has become an 'urban myth' that after two years you can become a PR - there is no direct route and very many people have come unstuck believing there is.

However the process is slightly different if you have been on a 457 first & I do not think you need to do a skills assessment (but I could be wrong).

http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/186-

You can become a citizen after 4 years in Australia so long as you have held permanent residency for a year.

No, it doesn't work like that - there are two types of sponsorship, one is a 457 visa which is what most people mean when they say employer sponsorship, that can last for up to four years but can never be permanent and the other is an ENS visa and this is permanent. You do not need to have ever worked for the employer for them to nominate you for a 186 visa but a lot of employers will only do it after you have worked for them for a period of time thus it has become an 'urban myth' that after two years you can become a PR - there is no direct route and very many people have come unstuck believing there is.

However the process is slightly different if you have been on a 457 first & I do not think you need to do a skills assessment (but I could be wrong).

http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/186-

You can become a citizen after 4 years in Australia so long as you have held permanent residency for a year.

Thanks. So ENS is 186?

Is it simply cash that is required to go onto a 186? If so, does this explain why some of my friends who have been here longer have paid a few thousand to their employer for their visa?

So a 457 visa means at the end of the four years I have to come straight home; so I need to find a way of getting onto a 186 before then?

Thanks

If weather is a primary motivator would you consider Brisbane? Manly is a super expensive (albeit lovely) place to live but the weather isn't that flash in Sydney...

Hey, Brisbane is close to an hour from the sea I believe? I want to surf every day, so Manly appeals to me.

Manly's about the same price as Cambridge, so a similar salary would work there too.

There is no automatic path from a 457 to PR. You can be sponsored for PR at any time including as the initial visa. However, it is very rare for employers to do that for two reasons. One, it takes a lot longer - maybe 6 months and is a fair bit more expensive.

I have just checked the lists and the occupation is still on it - the lists are updated every year on July 1. However, I also checked the state sponsoring. There is only one state sponsoring it which is SA on their supplementary list. Given SA will put pretty much anything on their supplementary, that isn't a good sign. While the lists are never a good indicator of job availability, they can be a guide. Meaning it is an indicator that there is no demand for this occupation.

So, in short, yes, in theory you could be sponsored. In reality, like most WHV people, it is very unlikely and you will enjoy a nice holiday but that is about it.

There is no automatic path from a 457 to PR. You can be sponsored for PR at any time including as the initial visa. However, it is very rare for employers to do that for two reasons. One, it takes a lot longer - maybe 6 months and is a fair bit more expensive.

I have just checked the lists and the occupation is still on it - the lists are updated every year on July 1. However, I also checked the state sponsoring. There is only one state sponsoring it which is SA on their supplementary list. Given SA will put pretty much anything on their supplementary, that isn't a good sign. While the lists are never a good indicator of job availability, they can be a guide. Meaning it is an indicator that there is no demand for this occupation.

So, in short, yes, in theory you could be sponsored. In reality, like most WHV people, it is very unlikely and you will enjoy a nice holiday but that is about it.

Hey, I only have anecdotal experience, but that is of any friends of mine with five years experience in a corporate job finding it relatively straight-forward to get sponsorship. My friend who worked at the same company as me initially and has less overall experience and at less well-known companies, found a job with sponsorship within two weeks in Melbourne.

i don't know the ins and outs, so may be missing some information, but I know my CV is strong by UK standards and I've worked for the global market leader in my sector, which I find smaller companies usually find attractive. I'll be spending three months ahead of heading out trying to set up interview also.

Again, I may be missing some knowledge here, but that's my thinking so far.

• 5 months later...
Ted Maul have you eventually made it into Oz? How'd job searching go in ur field?

Hey, did you made it into Australia? Im pretty much in same situation as yourself and was wondering how did it go?

Cheers

Hey Nick

I'm booking my tickets this weekend, arriving late January.

I didn't even formally start job-hunting, but mentioned I'm interested in finding work on 'Poms in Sydney' on Facebook and was contacted by a recruitment company, who straight away have a really good-looking opportunity lined up, with a few more options available, apparently.

I've been told having a firm landing date helps demonstrate you're serious. My goal is to have an offer before I arrive, so I can spend a couple of weeks surfing and relaxing, safe in the knowledge I have a job sorted!

Archived